Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Prevent selections being automatically removed

Hi,

I have a document which contains details of customers and their purchasing habits. I've created bookmarks with various specific selections that helps me identify key customers to email offers to.

Eg. Lapsed Customers - criteria includes hasn't shopped for x days, age>y etc etc.

My problem arises when I apply the bookmark and then change the 'Location' selection. Not all locations have any customers which meet the other criteria, but instead of my straight table returning 0 records (as I had expected) - Qlikview appears to remove one or more selections to ensure some data is returned.

This is a problem because now these customers do not meet the criteria I need and I am at risk of emailing the wrong people. (Particularly as the straight table is later exported using a macro - no eyes look at it before the emails are automatically sent)

How do I prevent this from happenning? I want my straight table to be empy if there are no customers meeting the criteria.

Thanks,

Nick

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Nick,

the behaviour you described seems to be as supposed since you do not freeze a selection or a part of it. Did you try to use the bookmark(s) within your expressions of your straight table? EG:

Sum( {Year09} Values)

with "Year09" being a (document) bookmark. Or even use it within a calculated dimension?

HtH

Roland

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Maybe not exacly the sulotion you are looking for but it is easy to do it the other way around.
Go to the properties of your "Location" list and check "Hide Excluded".

This way you will not be able to select a location which is not "in the bookmark"

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, but that's not what I need. In the document I intend to put the location in the bookmark also, but then when the bookmark is selected, it doesn't return an empty table.

Any way I can prevent Qlikview from deselecting items?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Nick,

the behaviour you described seems to be as supposed since you do not freeze a selection or a part of it. Did you try to use the bookmark(s) within your expressions of your straight table? EG:

Sum( {Year09} Values)

with "Year09" being a (document) bookmark. Or even use it within a calculated dimension?

HtH

Roland

Not applicable
Author

Excellent - didn't know you could do that with bookmarks. Thanks.

Now - any idea how to change a bookmark if it returns no records? Every time I try and add a new criteria to my bookmark it doesn't take it (or it removes something else if I don't lock it). There may be no records today but tomorrow might be different...

Not applicable
Author

Hello Nick,

glad to help you. Some notes to your second question

- a bookmark stores the current selections the time it is created. But it does not store any result set(s). Therefor it can't return any data and the result can differ after a reload.

- as I mentioned above for me the behaviour you described is correct. And it is independent of using bookmarks. If you select an "excluded value" belonging to a prior selection QV reduces the "old" selection criterias to fit the new selection. So "tomorrow might be different" but I have no idea how to look into the future 😉

RR