Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Price - Volume - Mix effect analysis? (PVM)

Been trying to create a PVM-analysis without success.

Price Volume Mix effect

Anyone got samples on how to do it? Please help me....

13 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Someone must ahve done this 🙂

There are probably some other names for it also. But the general idea is to compare sales in two time periods and see how much of the difference that comes from Price effect (same customers/products but sold at higher/lower price), Volume effect (same customers/products but different volume) and Mix effect.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Magnus,

I'm trying to do a waterfall with price, volume and mix effect but I didn't succeed in doing so;

Have you got an answer ?

Patrick

Not applicable
Author

Magnus,

My company is an OEM partner of Qlik, and our software's front-end uses QlikView to deliver the analytical output. We specialize in providing bottom-up price/volume/mix analysis. It sounds like we may be able to help you. Please feel free to write me at dtandon@thekinigroup.com.

Regards,

Dev Tandon

The Kini Group

http://www.thekinigroup.com

Not applicable
Author

http://www.volume-and-mix-analysis.com/

Hi Magnus,

The attached spreadsheet can serve as a template for solving any PVM situation that you encounter.  The spreadsheet also includes "Proof" calculations which show that the sum of the micro variances equal the correct macro totals.  Just put the spreadsheet on "Show Formulas" and follow the calculation logic.  The main point in the analysis is the correct extraction of Mix Variance from Volume Variance.  Try looking at the link for an in-depth exposition of the analysis details.

The Mix Variance amount for each individual product is determined by 3 amounts:

. The difference between the price of the individual product and the Actual Group Budget Price.

. The difference between the product's Actual Product Mix and its' Budget Product Mix.

. The actual Group Total amount.

In the case of, for example, Product 1:

. $210 - $162 = $48

. 0.173913 - 0.300000 = -0.126087

. 1150

Thus:

. Product 1 Mix Variance = $48 x -0.126087 x 1150 = $-6960

Intuitive results . . . no anomalies . . . no "gotchas"

Frank

Not applicable
Author

Are you attempting to do you PVM for two different time periods or Actual vs Budget?  I have recently finished a model that does two different time periods with waterfalls, we included Currency effect within the pricing model also.  Just wanted to clarify.  I don't currently have an example that doesn't house actual data, but I might could mock up something if needed.  But each model is usually very specific for business models also. 

prieper
Master II
Master II

Hi Rhonda,

am working on similar project - would it be possible to share your solution?

Rgds Peter

Not applicable
Author

Let me see how I can share a solution without data, I'm sorry to be slow responding.

prieper
Master II
Master II

Dear Rhonda,

you may

- restrict the data (File -> Reduce Data -> Remove all values)

- or copy only the datamodel into an empty application

and send it only to me by mail - will keep it confidential, whatever is in

Best Regards

Peter Rieper

Edith removed a signature.

prieper
Master II
Master II

Hi Dev,

thanks for the offer, but think that I found a solution. Just making some plausibility- and usability-tests.

Will post a solution here, once finalized.

Regards

Peter