Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II

Problem with % YTD v PriorYTD

Hi All,

I have a problem when calculating % difference YTD v Prior YTD

here is what I have in Text Object, it works when the numbers are positive, but not when they are Negative

2013-12-03_1055.png

See below table, in this table I am looking at this year v last year, it shows a % increase of 223% which to me is correct

2013-12-03_1057.png

However, If I select Year 2010 from my list box, I get the follow result

2013-12-03_1059.png

I am expecting to see a variance of -128% like below

2013-12-03_1101.png

Do I use an IF Statement in the Expression at the top of this post? If so, how do I need to correct it? any help would be greatly appreciated as my head is not with it at the moment

Thanks

Al

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Well, this:

=NUM((SUM({<Year={'$(vMaxYear)'},Date={'<=$(vMaxDate)'}>}[line-amount])-

SUM({<Year={'$(vPriorYear)'},Date={'<=$(vPriorYearDate)'}>}[line-amount])

)/

RangeMin(SUM({<Year={'$(vPriorYear)'},Date={'<=$(vPriorYearDate)'}>}[line-amount]),SUM({<Year={'$(vMaxYear)'},Date={'<=$(vMaxDate)'}>}[line-amount])),'##.##')

View solution in original post

9 Replies
er_mohit
Master II
Master II

2013-12-03_1055.png

Try this way using min date and max date for both side using variable like this make variable

vStartDate =  =monthstart(Date(Min(Date)))

vEndDate =  = Date(Max(Date))

vPYStartDate = =Addmonths('$(vStartDate)',-12)

vPYEndDate =  =Addmonths('$(vEndDate)',-12)

So in expression side

write

(sum({<Year = {'$(vMaxYear)'},Date = {'>=$(vStartDate)<=$(vEndDate)'}>} line_amount)

-

sum({<Year = {'$(vPriorYear)'},Date = {'>=$(vPYStartDate)<=$(vPYEndDate)'}>} line_amount))

/

sum({<Year = {'$(vPriorYear)'},Date = {'>=$(vPYStartDate)<=$(vPYEndDate)'}>} line_amount) *100

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Could you post your sample app that demonstrates the issue?

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II
Author

Hi tresesco,

PFA

tresesco
MVP
MVP

In  chart expression, I guess you have to correct the denominator by right column number (2 rather than 1), like:

=NUM((column(1) - column(2)) / column(2),'0.00%')

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II
Author

Hi,

I tried that already, it will work if the COLUMN(1) Number is always the bigger number, but if the COLUMN(1) is less than COLUMN(2) I run into problems

If you promote the Expression in COLUMN(2) you will see what I mean

tresesco
MVP
MVP

So you want to keep the flexibilty of changing column order. Then use expression directly like:

=(NUM(SUM({<Year={'$(vMaxYear)'},Date={'<=$(vMaxDate)'}>}[line-amount]),'#,##0')-

NUM(SUM({<Year={'$(vPriorYear)'},Date={'<=$(vPriorYearDate)'}>}[line-amount]),'#,##0')

)/

NUM(SUM({<Year={'$(vPriorYear)'},Date={'<=$(vPriorYearDate)'}>}[line-amount]),'#,##0')

Instead of column reference.

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II
Author

Yes, I tried that also.

I still have the issue where it works when the Max Year is greater then the Prior year, but if the max year is less than the previous year the result returned is incorrect.like below

2013-12-03_1240.png

I expect the % variance to be -128% for the above case, 4 Million drop in 2009 to 1.7 Million in 2010 is more than a decrease of 56%

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Well, this:

=NUM((SUM({<Year={'$(vMaxYear)'},Date={'<=$(vMaxDate)'}>}[line-amount])-

SUM({<Year={'$(vPriorYear)'},Date={'<=$(vPriorYearDate)'}>}[line-amount])

)/

RangeMin(SUM({<Year={'$(vPriorYear)'},Date={'<=$(vPriorYearDate)'}>}[line-amount]),SUM({<Year={'$(vMaxYear)'},Date={'<=$(vMaxDate)'}>}[line-amount])),'##.##')

rustyfishbones
Master II
Master II
Author

Thanks tresesco