Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problems Opening an existing QVW file

I'm using Ver 9.0 Personal Edition. I have created a qvw file using the Personal Edition. However, when opening the qvw file with the Personal Edition, I am prompted that a license key file is missing and the qvw file cannot be opened and I have to use the recovery process to open it (there appears to be some limit on how many times this can be done). (Sorry the prompt is no longer displayed so I don't have the exact message). I'm confused because I created the qvw file within the my Personal Edition and I am opening it within my Personal Edition. I have already performed the recovery a few times within the last few days and only have 2 occurences remaining. Any ideas on why this is occuring? I have spent considerable time creating multiple pages and charts and don't want to have to recreate this.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

77 Replies
Not applicable
Author

If you have modified the qvw file on another computer than your own, you will have to make a recovery of the qvw file. Recovery is only allowed 4 times on a single qvw file. Since the personal edition is personal, there is a limitation; you can only use personal edition qvw files on one single computer. The recovery feature is implemented for those who need to upgrade or change computer.

Important: If you are working on many personal edition qvw files and has to make a recovery on one of the files. A recovery on a single qvw file will affect all the other qvw files you have created as well...

A personal edition qvw file can always be opened by a QlikView with a valid license key. If you have recovered a file too many times and can't open it in Personal Edition anymore, you will need a full QlikView license to open it again.

As of the first version of QlikView 9, there are a couple of known bugs regarding personal edition qvw files. The intended design is the one I just described.

Not applicable
Author

I have exactly the same problem : need to "recover" my own created file, am down to 2 attempts at the moment, and the original file now seems corrupt so I had to start over again.

kjn wrote:As of the first version of QlikView 9, there are a couple of known bugs regarding personal edition qvw files

Is there already a bug free version ?

Not applicable
Author

Has this been identified as a defect and is there any timetable for being fixed?

Summary - I created a file within Personal Edition and when opening, I am randomly prompted to recover the file as it does not have the same key. I created the file in my version of PE and I am opening it in the same version on the same pc. For the last few days, the problem has not appeared, but this morning I had to use my last recovery. Days of work will be lost if I cannot get this resolved.

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

All

This is obviously not the experience we want you to be having with QlikView Personal Edition. To help further with our diagnosis, can you let us know the following.

1. Are you using QV personal Edition on one machine?

2. If so, is that machine attached to different networks at different times (e.g. home/office LAN/roaming) and/or operating in a completely disconnected mode?

Thanks and your patience is greatly appreciated

Regards

John Trigg

Global Product Manager

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

John Trigg wrote:
1. Are you using QV personal Edition on one machine?

Yes

John Trigg wrote:2. If so, is that machine attached to different networks at different times (e.g. home/office LAN/roaming) and/or operating in a completely disconnected mode?

It is my work laptop, which I use at different places, so that might be the problem. However, I only used Qlikview at home always on the same network.

Thanks for looking into this !

Not applicable
Author

1) Yes I am using the QV Personal Edition on 1 pc.

2) Yes, the machine if mostly connected to a corporate network (wired and wireless) but also to a home network at times. I have not opened QV Personal Edition while connected to the Home network. At times the machine is also completely disconnected.

Thanks for following up.

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

Thanks for the responses. This will help in further diagnosis.

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

I wanted to add a post on a means I have found to replicate the problem. This may or may not correspond to your circumstance. Your feedback is appreciated.

1. With a wireless network connection (LAN connection - disconnected, enabled), create a QVW

2. Disconnect from wireless and try to reopen QVW - successful

3. Disable wireless adapter and try to reopen QVW - fail. Asked to recover QVW (cancel out leaving QVW in its initial state)

4. Reenable wireless adapter, do not connect and try to reopen QVW - success

I then tried a similar process with my LAN connection. State = LAN connected, Wireless disconnected (but enabled)

1. Open QVW#1 - success

2. Create a new QVW (#2). Disconnect LAN connection & attempt to open QVW #2 - success

3. Disable LAN connection (wireless disconnected, enabled) & attempt to open QVW#2 - success

4. Disable wireless connection & attempt to open #2 - fail

So it would seem on my machine that a complete lack of presence of a network connection has an impact on the computer identity or at least the presence of the connection under which I installed QlikView. I installed under a wireless connection which may explain first set of results, when I had a LAN connection enabled (not connected) and got the fail on disabling my wireless & subsequently when I toggled the LAN connection and had the wireless connection enabled throughout.

This provide any insight into what you have experienced?

gchampion
Contributor III
Contributor III

I've got a similar problem. I installed QlikView (QlikView 9.0 Personal Edition) for the first time on my laptop 4 weeks ago.

I created 2 documents, I use them during 2 weeks (read, update), and since last monday I can't open my documents anymore.

I used QlikView with WAN and LAN at work and at home. I tried to open them again at home, at work, with WAN and with LAN but no good result.

Could you explain us how to manage this problem ?

Thx