Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Project sql server and Qlikview

Hey eveyone,

I have already posted a discussion here but i am still confuse about it.

Well I have to realize a BI project using SSIS and Qlikview,

I have two sources in the source:  one file  CSV and other one  ACCES

the company want to know the percentage of the computers who contain windows 7 and who are not and percentage of the computers who have Bitlocker and who does not thave them ( the same for other criterias..) well, and that should concern all its entities that exist in the world.

I am told to use SSIS and Qlikview for that.

I dont really know how to do that because I worked in sql server only and I read that in qlikview they dont have "fact tables and dimension tables" notion. And because the only dimension table that comes to my mind is : ENTITY and of course dimension TIME. And I dont know how to link between SSIS and Qlikview, for example let is assume that I create my DW SCHEMA, and what i am going to do next ??

Last question: I am going to use SSAS in something ?

Please try to answer all my doubts and questions. I really need help. Thank you and have a good day

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
buzzy996
Master II
Master II

here two things,

SSIS - Generally will use to fetch and perform multiple kind of data profiling activites.

SSAS- Generally will use to perform Analytical kind of reporting,that's what I tried to say in the above point,if u/ur employer planned to use SSAS to perform the same u can use SSAS else u can also do the same activity by using the QlikView,There is no point to use the SSAS!,I believe.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Create your dimension and fact tables as usual with SSIS and load them in the database in your DW schema. Then in Qlikview connect to the database and load the data from those tables from the DW schema.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

hmm ok thanks

Not applicable
Author

But I wanted also to give me your point of view concerning what I am going to do in my project. Do you think I am going wrong ?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Personally I wouldn't use SSIS and use Qlikview to directly load the data from the two sources, but you're told to use it so I reckon you're stuck with that.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
buzzy996
Master II
Master II

Hi ,What I believe.

If u want to load vey huge data from ur source systems I prepare to use any ETL tool (like SSIS),else u can able to manage that work as well with QlikView.

Even in QlikView you can create dwh model (facts & Dims) and build ur reports accordingly.

By using qlikview u can perform multiple things Reports/Dashboards/Analysis Views.

So if u plan to create analysis view by using QlikView,there is no point to use SSAS!

the above things are my personal opinion

Not applicable
Author

If I am going to use Qlikview for the reporting, then I should necessarily use SSAS for that or what ? because I thought I going to use SSIS for everything even for the time table and then load the schema in qlikview then it comes the reporting step.

buzzy996
Master II
Master II

here two things,

SSIS - Generally will use to fetch and perform multiple kind of data profiling activites.

SSAS- Generally will use to perform Analytical kind of reporting,that's what I tried to say in the above point,if u/ur employer planned to use SSAS to perform the same u can use SSAS else u can also do the same activity by using the QlikView,There is no point to use the SSAS!,I believe.

Not applicable
Author

thanks a lot

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

Hello,

As the two experts mentioned their views above, I personally feel that Qlikview has tremendous ability to model facts and dimensions when loading data from different data sources. However, if you were insisted to use certain tools for modeling and analysis, I presume, if the data needs many transformations or cleansing of data is needed I would suggest to use SSIS for loading transformed data onto SQL Server databases. Once the transformation is done you can load those tables onto Qlikview.

With regards to SSAS you mentioned in the question: This is exclusively used to create cubes from where the data will be accessed in the front end, by creating facts and dimensions tables accordingly. It again depends how comfortable you are with SSAS in designing cubes.