Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinalvino
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

[QMC] - How to set an alert with a condition?

Hi All,

I have a question regarding QMC.

So i have several task running and have set the alerts in there is any task failed to reload.

This is working as intended, as if there any task failed, i will received email for this case.

The problem is :

I have set a Task scheduler task to restart service. This is for refresh the RAM Usage as the cache is started to eats up the usage.

When the task scheduler run automatically by trigger, all the Qlikview services is stopped.

When the Qlik services stopped, I also received email that there is a data reload failed.

The question :

Can i set a condition for the alerts notifcation, only if the job really failed to reload, not because of services stopped?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Kevin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi Kevin,

which service is restarted? all of them? AfaIk, from a server_point_of_view, there's only one "QVS.exe", no?

I don't know about such a possibility. The alert actually does what it's supposed to since, when the services are not running, the next scheduled job naturally fails. The edit_field where you can set up these alert_emails is quite simple, I don't think you can set any other conditions there - besides, when the QVS is temporarily down (I think the "management_service" is the decisive one), how should QlikView be able to tell that the jobs fail for this reason?

I also had such a thing, but I could never get IT to schedule a regular restart of the QVS though I argumented for it more than once and the whole thing did crash every so often 😉

Well, but there might be a workaround of sorts: Either you know the times when this service_restart will occur, so you know that at that time you can ignore those alerts - you might be able to set up a rule in Outlook to just delete that email at that exact time - or maybe you can trigger another email to be sent at that exact time informing you of the restart, so you will get two emails at the same time and you know that you don't have to follow them up.

This is assuming that those alerts go only to yourself and any other developers there may be, not to any business_users?

Best regards,

DataNibbler

View solution in original post

4 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi Kevin,

which service is restarted? all of them? AfaIk, from a server_point_of_view, there's only one "QVS.exe", no?

I don't know about such a possibility. The alert actually does what it's supposed to since, when the services are not running, the next scheduled job naturally fails. The edit_field where you can set up these alert_emails is quite simple, I don't think you can set any other conditions there - besides, when the QVS is temporarily down (I think the "management_service" is the decisive one), how should QlikView be able to tell that the jobs fail for this reason?

I also had such a thing, but I could never get IT to schedule a regular restart of the QVS though I argumented for it more than once and the whole thing did crash every so often 😉

Well, but there might be a workaround of sorts: Either you know the times when this service_restart will occur, so you know that at that time you can ignore those alerts - you might be able to set up a rule in Outlook to just delete that email at that exact time - or maybe you can trigger another email to be sent at that exact time informing you of the restart, so you will get two emails at the same time and you know that you don't have to follow them up.

This is assuming that those alerts go only to yourself and any other developers there may be, not to any business_users?

Best regards,

DataNibbler

marcus_sommer

Regarding to the official Qlik recommendations there is no need to restart the services on a regular basis. Previous to QV 11.2 it didn't work for us but since then it worked great even over several weeks without a restart.

This meant you should rather look what and why it happens - the various Qlik and Windows log-files would be useful to find out if there too many concurrent tasks and/or users (when which) or if there are some applications / shared-files which are responsible and if they could be changed/optimized.

It meant to look for the causes and not to cure the effects and it might lead to the insight that you need more physical RAM and/or to separate server and publisher and/or clustering them.

- Marcus

kevinalvino
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Friedrich,

Yes, All of the Qlikview Services. QV Director Services Connector, Distribution Service, Management Service, QVS, QV Settings Service, QV Webserver.

Yup, the alerts menus is only a simple add button for recipient.

Come to think it, yeah , you're correct, if the QVS down, how to report the job is fail...silly me

I have take consideration of your advice and create a powershell script for this alert. As you said, the Reload scheduled is fixed as i set it on Task Scheduler, so i can set condition for the time when i should ignore the failed notification.

Think it is better that i don't send 2 emails for restart and failed reload, cause as you know, more error email received means more problem .

Yup, alerts only goes to the one maintaining this, not to other regular users.

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,

Kevin

kevinalvino
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Marcus,

For this case, the environment is using QV 11.2.

Yeah, i think i should optimized several QVW, as there is one QVW that reading QVD with 8 GB size and have over 70 million rows, which of course, seems to be the primary suspect for this case as the Event Viewer and Log detected based on pattern.

For the physical RAM and seperating server and publisher needs consideration and discussion, so it will be a homework to improve.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Kevin