Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
razvan_brais
Creator III
Creator III

QVD file size

Hy there guys.

I have a question. Is there normal that a qvd file size to be bigger than 1GB?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pradeep_s
Creator
Creator

Hi Razvan

It depends on the volume of data that you are storing in the QVD.

Normally, QVD's are the Ram image which will have the very minimal data size.

If your QVD size is coming more than 1 GB, then your source data size might be huge. (definitely > 1 GB you can check this by storing the same data into Excel).

If you are worried about qvd file size (> 1 GB) which in sometime affects the performance, you can split the source data (like normalization, but not completely) and you can store them as multiple QVD's.

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 Replies
pradeep_s
Creator
Creator

Hi Razvan

It depends on the volume of data that you are storing in the QVD.

Normally, QVD's are the Ram image which will have the very minimal data size.

If your QVD size is coming more than 1 GB, then your source data size might be huge. (definitely > 1 GB you can check this by storing the same data into Excel).

If you are worried about qvd file size (> 1 GB) which in sometime affects the performance, you can split the source data (like normalization, but not completely) and you can store them as multiple QVD's.

Thanks

tracysmart
Creator II
Creator II

that depends on how much data you have.

I have QVDs that are over 3GB but they contain tens of millions rows of data.

so basically the size of the QVD will reflect the amount of data it is holding.

razvan_brais
Creator III
Creator III
Author

In my qvd i have aproximatively 1.5 milions of rows , but for each record I have some extra info with lot of text.

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

It is not unusual that QVD grow in to the size of GBs, in enterprise environment where there simply is a lot of data for analysis.

Why are you asking? Do you think the large file is causing an issue?

razvan_brais
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I was asking because I taught that i was doing something wrong that the qvd file is that big. But now I know that this is because the ammount of data is large too.

Thank youn.

tom2qlik
Creator
Creator

It's not uncommon for QVDs to become greater than 1 GB especially if you are pulling your data from a large data set.  In my experience I found that QVDs over 1 GB can have quite a negative impact on performance.  I would recommend what Pradeep S said and try and split your QVD into smaller ones.       

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

I think the performance is very relative. It will depend on the structure of the data stored in the QVD, and if the QVD is loaded optimized or not. It is still a fact that if you have data, the most efficient way to load it into QlikView or Qlik Sense is through a QVD.

If there is a performance concern the details of the setup is highly relevant in terms of optimizing the data processing flow. I do not think a 1GB file should be a major issue in a typical QlikView Server deployment, while it could appear large on a weaker developer machine.