Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVD s are faster why

Hi,

I have the doubt like by using QVDs data is compressed so generally to decompreess it and use as a original source file it should take time right but qvd s are faster and i read the blogs qvd are also not so much decomressed like zip and un zip like real world compression techniques.iam interested to know how these are compressed and faster performance these are giving

give me comments

regards

Mahesh

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Qvd files can be loaded very fast because the data is already in the same format as Qlikviews internal database. It's kinda of like a data dump of part of the in-memory database. Qvd files themselves are not compressed. The compression comes from using bit-stuffed pointers. You've already read the blog post explaining that I think.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Qvd files can be loaded very fast because the data is already in the same format as Qlikviews internal database. It's kinda of like a data dump of part of the in-memory database. Qvd files themselves are not compressed. The compression comes from using bit-stuffed pointers. You've already read the blog post explaining that I think.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

QVDs are compressed uring the same technology that QlikTech also uses to compress data in-memory. So if you load a QVD straight into memory (e.g. without a WHERE clause causing forced decompression) almost no operation needs to be performed on the QVD contents.

If you want to know how exactly they do this, there must be some patent application with details somewhere. But don't ask me where it is, I just like the magic in all of this.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thank u get satisfied with ur answer

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

find copy of attachment...