Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVD utilization as source to other reporting tools

Hi,

I was asked a interesting question by my client. Can i use a .QVD file as a data source to other reporting tools.

Ex: Can i run SAP Business Objects reports or Congnos Reporting tool against my .QVD file (as source)?

Can anyone please share your experiences.

Thanks,

Chris

6 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Sekhar,

I have not heard of anyone doing this. I would think that they would have to create an option in their software to read the file, bing it is part binary.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

No I'm afraid that's not possible. QVD is a proprietary format.

Using the QVX (QlikView data eXchange) format is worth exploring. Admittedly I have never used it myself but it is based on XML standards so with a bit of effort you might be able to develop a feed into another system.

Alternatively have a look at QlikView Expressor.

jcoggon
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

There is company called ETL-Tools (Home) that allows you to write QVDs into another data source e.g. MS SQL and then have the other reporting tools read the source. But as far as reading directly from a QVD, dont think its possible.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

QVD is proprietary format.

There´s some comercial libs (Java and .Net) that can open this format.

However I would recomend you to export the values to csv flat files when you´re storing your qvd´s

Store mytable to $(Pathqvd)\myqvd(qvd);

Store mytable to $(Pathcsv)\mycsv(txt);

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

A QVX formatted file contains metadata describing a table of data and the actual data. In contrast to the QVD format, which is proprietary and optimized for mininum transformations inside QlikView, the QVX format is public and requires a few transformations when exporting data from traditional data base formats.

So that might work, but the export to cvs will be limited.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Yea, but that isn't really the answer to the question. He is wanting to use the QVD's in other BI tools.

Bill