Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVW File size reduced

Hi,

I have QVW where after reloading the data the size is showing as 45.8 MB. I am opening the file without making any changes am savings it again and if I see the size it is reducing by half to 18.5 MB.

Why there is so much change in file size when I save for second time without making any changes to file. is there any data loss when I save twice.? Does any one else came across this type scenario.?

Thanks for your suggestions. If it is valid scenario then I can save lot of memory.

9 Replies
marcus_sommer

This could happen if there section access is implemented which can reduce the dataset by opening to your approvals and if you then save the file it will be smaller then before.

- Marcus

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Sai,

Can you please do DEBUG for those two files and let me know with the duration.

Can i know are you using any TRACE for debug from this Project.

- Anil

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Marcus has a good point. If you open a document of 45.8MB (which means reducing the data), perform a reload (which means undoing the reduction and loading all data again) and save it, it should revert back to having 45.8MB of data. That is if you open as ADMIN.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi All,

I have not implemented section access. Yes, when I reload the QVW file is saving with original size. I am using trace statements only at three places.

-Sai

marcus_sommer

Take a look if there is a hidden script within the load - click within the menu-bar from script-editor on file --> hidden script. Maybe there is something which you didn't know or which you have forgotten.

Further take a look within the macro-modul if there are any routines which reduce the data (ctrl + F with "reduce").

A third thought goes to the compression-feature whereby those document-settings didn't change by opening/saving a qvw even if you enabled the compression within your user-properties.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Any other suggestions??

There is no compression level set or section access but the file size is reducing. Can someone try same thing and check if file size is getting reduced.

marcus_sommer

I don't think that there is any other possibility of reducing the data respectively the filesize unless the above mentioned features of section access, actions+macros and compression. Maybe you haven't found it yet - then for example section access must not be within a hidden script - it could be elsewhere. Take a search for "section access" within the script and watch the script during the load within the debugger (it could like mine section access within an include-variable).

A further thought is an issue with your file-system - do you use the windows NTFS or any NAS storage? Also compression on the storage-side could have strange effects.

- Marcus

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

There is a simple trick to figure out whether the smaller file size is due to section access and data reduction.

• From the reload log, try to deduce the number of rows in a few large tables. Or add some TRACE lines that dump the number of rows in those tables to the log.
  • Now open the document in QV Desktop and check Settings->Document Properties->Tables. Are the row totals the same as those written in the logs?
  • Save the document, make sure that the file size did shrink. Reopen the document and again check the number of rows.

If table sizes are getting smaller too, then data reduction is responsible for the mysterious size reduction.

Peter

Not applicable
Author

qlikview has compressed data is the major roje.you can reload the data has 45.8 mb.but you saved as qvd.so qvd has compressed data to 18.5mb .you can twice reloading data has compressed data so you don't have loss any data