Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonwills
Contributor II
Contributor II

Qlik View Personal Edition File Recovery

Hi All,

i am aware that you can only open a qlik view file that was created by that personal edition - however, my laptop died, and luckily i had my qlik view file in OneDrive - now i have a replacement laptop, and the file again, i cannot open the file at all.

Does anyone know of a way around this - will support allow it at all, or is the only option enterprise edition?

Thanks for any help.

Jason

8 Replies
ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Jason,

In your case, you can restore the file. Restoring file implies сreate a new user key, assign it to the old document and use this key for all subsequent files, not just for a specific file. After the file is restored it will no longer be possible to use it on the computer on which it was created. QlikView allows 4 replacements of user keys in the document.

Thus, you can use one recovery attempt out of four, taking into account the above described consequences.

Or as an option, you need to legally get access to another computer with a license QlikView to open your file on it and next to manually restore it on your computer with the established QlikView Personal Edition.

Regards,

Andrey

jasonwills
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Andrey, sounds like music to my ears - thanks for the help.

How do i go about restoring though - sorry for the lack of knowledge. If i try to open i get the following message:

And i can see no way of restoring.

Regards

Jason

jasonwills
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi - Just to add, i created the qvw file on my old laptop before it died - and have never 'recovered' it, and have now re-installed QlikView on this new machine, and tried to open it again.

Regards

Jason

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

This is from the old reference guide an implies that if you have open files from other users, that will use up your recovery attempts, could that be the case?

does you installation include a QV server, or are you purely personal edition?

Should you change computers, you will not be able to open your previously created documents with Qlik-

View Personal Edition. In this case, you can choose to recover your files. Recovering files means a new user

key is generated, assigned to the old document and used for all subsequent files, not only for that particular

file. After recovering a file, you can no longer use it on the computer that you created it in.

QlikView will accept 4 user key changes in a document. After that, you will get the error message “Key

length has reached its maximum” and the document will not open any more. The only possibility is to recreate

it from scratch.

Therefore, you should not recover QlikView documents that you did not create (from a forum or from a colleague,

etc.). Doing so will use one of your remaining recovery attempts.

As a user of QlikView Personal edition you can upgrade the software to a newer version at any time and continue

working with your documents. New versions may be downloaded on the QlikView download page and

installed on the existing computer.

HTH

Andy

jasonwills
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Andy.

i'm in a pure Personal Edition environment. and i suppose i could have opened other documents created via other people, but i have never seen or selected a resore option, so stuck as to why i don't have the option to restore on the file i created - do you think that is a bug then?

Jason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Jason,

my name is Cristiano Masi and I am in the same odd situation you have benn last year.

How did you solve the problem?

Regards

/Cristiano

jasonwills
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Cristiano, i never got this solved.

Regards

Jason

CarmenReilly
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi jasonwills‌ and masicris‌,

The only way to resolve this issue is to purchase and apply a QlikView Desktop license.

https://www.qlik.com/us/try-or-buy/buy-now

All the Best,

Carmen

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.