Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView 9

I just received an e-mail that QlikView 9 has been released. I downloaded the file and was about to install it, but I have some questions.

Can QlikView 8 and 9 be installed at the same time or will 9 overwrite 8?

Does it matter? Does everything have to be updated to version 9 (server, etc)?

If I install 9 on my development machine, will my files be usable by people still using 8?

I'd like to start taking advantage of the new features, but I'm not sure how long it will take for everyone in my organization to upgrade.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The "book" answer (applies in the perfect world) is - yes, everything should be compatible and the two versions can co-exist. However, in real world, you might need to take some precautions:

1. Before you install QlikView 9, copy the whole folder \QlikView\ under Program Files into a new folder - for example, \QlikView 8.5\. Then, install QlikVIew 9 in a different folder (for example \QlikView9\). In some cases, I've seen the original folder "QlikView" being emptied even when you specifically asked to place the new version in a different folder. Extra caution there doesn't hurt.

2. Don't just start using ver. 9 on all your production documents. It's supposed to be backward compatible, but things happened before... Start from making separate copies of your documents and trying modifying them with QV9 and then opening them again with QV8.

3. Finally, before you (and your users) can take advantage of the new features, they need upgrade to QV9, too. New features definitely won't work with older versions of QlikView.

good luck!

Oleg

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The "book" answer (applies in the perfect world) is - yes, everything should be compatible and the two versions can co-exist. However, in real world, you might need to take some precautions:

1. Before you install QlikView 9, copy the whole folder \QlikView\ under Program Files into a new folder - for example, \QlikView 8.5\. Then, install QlikVIew 9 in a different folder (for example \QlikView9\). In some cases, I've seen the original folder "QlikView" being emptied even when you specifically asked to place the new version in a different folder. Extra caution there doesn't hurt.

2. Don't just start using ver. 9 on all your production documents. It's supposed to be backward compatible, but things happened before... Start from making separate copies of your documents and trying modifying them with QV9 and then opening them again with QV8.

3. Finally, before you (and your users) can take advantage of the new features, they need upgrade to QV9, too. New features definitely won't work with older versions of QlikView.

good luck!

Oleg

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Oleg! Those are some good tips.

I'll back up my install folder and make a new copy of anything I plan on working with in version 9.