Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView Personal Edition

Just wants to confirm on this, When we use a QlikView personal edition the reason why we cannot open qvw from another user or system is that every document is saved with the user key info and the QVPE cannot open if any documents are not pertains to the user? is there any other reason behind why we cannot open the qvw from other users when you have a QVPE?

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

can not be opened because it belongs to another user

Not applicable
Author

well you can't open documents created by an other QVPE, so I don't think it is about user key info

Not applicable
Author

Can anyone think of any other reason why a qvw file developed in different system cannot be opened in a QVPE?

Sokkorn
Master
Master

Hi qlikview08,

Very detail in here.

Regards,

Sokkorn

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sokkorn,

i gave a thorough look at the link in the section where it says

What are the limitations of QVPE?

There are only two limitations while using QlikView with the Personal Edition license:

• QlikView Personal Edition works with local files only; you cannot share your QlikView file with another unregistered user, or load a QlikView file from another user (except for specially modified files, more on that here).
  • You cannot import an entire document layout (sheets/objects/security settings, etc. without the data) into QVPE.

I am trying to understand the reason behind why the QVPE cannot share or load from another unregistered user?

initially this was my point that, the only reason i have believe from what i read from this article,

What is "Document Recovery" and when should I use it?

Please read carefully: Technically, every document is now saved with a user key -- information that ties that file to the file's creator. In Personal Edition, users can only open files that they have created.

i'm curious to know is that the only reason behind this?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

The reason is that QlikTech would rather have that some people actually buy licensed versions. If there were no limits at all to using QVPE than there would be no reason to buy a license for QV Desktop and also less reason to buy QV Server for a lot of potential customers. QlikTech would be out of business rather quickly then.

The technical details have something to do with embedding the license in the documents created and only licensed QV Desktop installations can read and modify documents with an embedded license of another installation. QVPE can only read and modify documents that have the license key of its own installation or a special embedded license that QlikTech can add to documents to make the PE-enabled.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert for the information, this really fills my curiosity. I thought i just need to be knowledgale about my work being part of QlikView.