Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Techsam
Contributor II
Contributor II

Qlikview PE, unable to open ANY .qvw file(not recovery issue)

Hello

Sorry in advance if i picked the wrong forum for this post.

After a recent software installation(Microsoft Visual C Build Tools) and after restarting the PC.

im unable to open any .qvw files. not even newly created/saved ones. and im 100% sure i haven't used any more recovery attempts since this started.

im getting the error messages "The document G:\xxxx\xxx\xxxx\test.qvw could not be loaded" and "Failed to open document" directly after.

i have tried moving the file, Renaming it, used ApplicationRescuse as suggested in many other posts but nothing works.

Since this happens to even newly created .qvw files i suspect this is a problem with the application itself.

do anyone have the slightest idea how to fix this or maybe have some guidelines on how to the debug it?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Maybe the new installation touched the installed net framework or any system libraries which QlikView used to check the within the applications embedded licence/machine information. If so it might be difficult to find the causing part. Therefore I suggest to consider to go back to the previous system recovery point. Then you may try to install the visual c new - maybe something went wrong previously and/or you may within a customized installation - choosing explicitly all wanted parts - prevent the issue respectively it may then more obvious what happens during the installation and what might be conflicting with QlikView.

Before this I would remove the settings.ini from QlikView (of course after a backup) to exclude that the user-settings are invalid in any way.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Techsam
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Update: i have now tried updating the qlikview install, that didnt help so i completley reinstalled without any change still.

now i read this in the Personal Edition FAQ:

"once you have exhausted all 4 of the attempts, you will no longer be able to access documents that you have created and, from that point on, you will only be able to create new documents using your current QlikView installation."

am i getting these errors because i exhausted all recovery attempts?? the messages are very unclear in that case.  also, i thought i still would be able to edit/save files after using the last recovery attempt, just not recovery any more.. this is very unfortunate

marcus_sommer

Maybe the new installation touched the installed net framework or any system libraries which QlikView used to check the within the applications embedded licence/machine information. If so it might be difficult to find the causing part. Therefore I suggest to consider to go back to the previous system recovery point. Then you may try to install the visual c new - maybe something went wrong previously and/or you may within a customized installation - choosing explicitly all wanted parts - prevent the issue respectively it may then more obvious what happens during the installation and what might be conflicting with QlikView.

Before this I would remove the settings.ini from QlikView (of course after a backup) to exclude that the user-settings are invalid in any way.

- Marcus

Techsam
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi again, Removing the Settings.ini and letting qlikview create a new one didnt help.

However your idea of the Visual C installation changing something within Net framework seems to be correct, i first tried using a Windows restore point from directly after the software was installed and it didnt work. thankfully there was a restorepoint from yesterday aswell.

after using that i can now succesfully open,edit and save our qlikview files. Thanks alot!