Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview and Microsoft Dynamics AX BI

Hi all,

I see a few people are using Qlikview over the BI tools available natively within AX.

Would anyone like to share the reasons for the decision with me please? What has been your experience (positive and negative!)?

Thanks.

Gordon

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Gordon,

We have put together QlikView solutions for AX a number of times. Back then we build them on top of AX tables directly or leverage X++ to dump pertinent complex data to custom tables as necessary. Direct table access is a bit painful but very doable if you are familiar with AX tables and logic. More recently, we use our AX data connector for QlikView, this allows us to encapsulate the complexity of AX tables/logic.

With that said, we haven't had a chance to build QlikView over AX native BI tools (I am assuming you are referring to the default cubes, if not please elaborate); typically QlikView solutions we put together is used fairly independently for analysis / dashboard / KPI tracking purposes but it is typically used in conjunction with AX native reports or SSRS reports for daily reporting purposes for example. I believe it is technically possible to integrate QlikView objects to AX Enterprise Portal, but haven't had a chance to try it out.

I would also be interested on what you or others have done.

Geoffrey

gwayong@amlllp.com

Not applicable
Author

Hello Geoffrey,

Thanks for the post.

Its early days for me and AX but I am aware of SSRS and SSAS. They seem to provide good quality functionality and my interest is really in what benefits there are using Qlikview instead of these native tools? Eventually, we will have the ability to create custom cubes ourselves and my expectation is that Qlikview would be redundant.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Hi Geoffrey

R.e. AX data connector for QlikView: Is this a stand alone product? What company do you work for? I Googled "amllp.com" but nothing came up.

Thanks

Max

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Max, i am sorry for the confusion. I work for armanino consulting, a division of amllp (armanino mckenna llp). We do work on Qlikview and Microsoft Dynamics AX (also in GP and CRM). In short, the connector we use is an add/on to qlikview/ax. We currently offer this to our client base, but I would be happy to discuss it further with you and share what we learned in connecting AX and QlikView. Please contact me directly since I am not sure if this would be the best channel and would be in everyone's best interest. Also, here is a link to our recent case study on AX /QlikView. http://www.amllp.com/images/stories/pdfs/dynamics/case-study-haws-corporation.pdf

Gordon, yes, I agree it is more difficult to figure out. I see AX 2012 BI offering is better than before, however I still see a gap. I still see AX BI offering is stronger in reporting vs. analytics/dashboarding. That's my 2 cents, I am sure someone might feel differently. With that said, we are in the process of putting together a documentation comparing AX BI, QlikView and other leading 3rd party solution so we would know better when one solution would work better in certain circumstances. Stay tuned. I believe AX BI and QlikView can co-exist and handling different needs very effectively.

Geoffrey

gwayong@amllp.com

http://www.amllp.com/services/software-solutions/qlikview

http://www.amllp.com/microsoft-dynamics

davidwilson33
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

More recently, we use our AX data connector for QlikView, this allows us to encapsulate the complexity of AX tables/logic. I believe it is technically possible to integrate QlikView objects to AX Enterprise Portal but haven't had a chance to try it out.

This Microsoft Dynamics AX training will help you gain expertise as far as the development of ERP solutions is concerned for business operations. The course offers in-depth knowledge on a variety of concepts, such as reporting, application deployment, application integration framework, MORPHX, and more.

If any Query about Qlikview and Microsoft Dynamics AX Course, Please Contact us we have a professional team to do this.

I hope it solves your issue.

Regards,

David