Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davdiste
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Qlikview vs Qliksense - segmentation or replacement?

Hi all,

Several IT providers in the last period are changing their offering from Qlikview to Qliksense.

Among the motivations IT providers give:

- Qlikview is becoming obsolete

- Soon Qlikview will be dismissed

- Qliksense is smarter

- Is more efficient to concentrate the training of technical skills on one of the two solution

In your opinion, which of the following statments is more true and why?

1) Qliksense will replace Qlikview. The aim of the solutions is the same and Qliksense is more aligned with the business needs of customers

2) Qlikview and Qliksense are different. An IT partner capability to provide BI projects based on both solutions is a point of strenght

16 Replies
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi,

The best you can do is answer the question yourself and choose what is true and what is not.

but to be able to do that, you have to know very well both solutions or at least read experts articles/reviews/opinions comparing these 2 powerful tools. simply type Qlikview vs Qliksense on google will take you to the best links

Good luck

davdiste
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi,

I've my opinion, but I want to know the general opinion of other pratictioners.

Thanks anyway.

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

so maybe stevedarkmtorwunderlich‌ can help you on this

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I've put various thoughts on this topic on my blog, one such post is here, and there are links to others from within there:

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlik-sense-apis-mash-ups/

There are certainly things that QlikView can do better and quicker, the ease of dropping all fields into multiboxes (for example) makes exploring a new data set a breeze. The Insights button in the latest version of Sense is clever, but it is no replacement for getting as much of the data as possible in a reasonable amount of space as quickly as possible.

The flip side is that the reasons for not using Sense are getting fewer and fewer by the release.  The feature gap that existed at first is closing. There are also some compelling reasons to use Sense, beyond the flashy responsive UI, the integration of chunks of GeoAnalytics into the base product springs to mind as a differentiatior.

QlikView is a brilliant product and will be around for some time yet. Qlik are committed to supporting it for just that reason. The direction of travel is definitely towards Sense though.

As a consultant if you have both in your kit bag then I would say you are at an advantage. If you are coming to it fresh though, with no experience of either, then I would definitely say you should focus your efforts entirely on becoming expert in Sense.

A slight caveat on that though, the best documentation I have seen on some core topics, like data modelling and Set Analysis, pre-date Sense. These features are identical between the products, and reading up on the parts of QlikView that you can cross apply is a very good idea.

Sorry, that is probably a more long winded answer than you were after.

Hope it is of interest though.

Steve

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Thank you for your time Steve

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Davide

I am currently working in Qlik with Product Design, and my area of responsibility is "Advanced Authoring". My directives are simple: Get advanced features into the product; both advanced features aimed at a document developer and advanced features exposed in user-friendly ways so that a business user can use them.

So, we are not (only) talking about self-service. We are talking about e.g. all the useful features that QlikView has, but Qlik Sense hasn't: Buttons, Actions, Calendar object, Always one selected, Alternate states, Accumulations, etc.

My personal view is that we should make Qlik Sense be able to do everything that QlikView can do - and more. In the future, it should be possible to use Qlik Sense both for guided apps (prepared documents built by data experts) and for self-service (work by business users). But you should of course also be able to combine the two, so that a business user can do self-service in an advanced app built by an expert. Then the business user will stand on the shoulders of the data expert.

So, my answer is a clear 1).

HIC

tresesco
MVP
MVP

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Wow! Thank you to for pointing me to comments I made nearly four years ago. Funny how the passage of time can change some things but others remain the same.

Interesting to see my point about having a sensible way for customers to have both QlikView and Sense is finally being realised with the move to bring in a Dual Use licence.

The point about the products being two distinct things that shouldn't be compared and fulfil different use cases is still true today, but HICs comments (which I will come back to...) suggest that this may start to be eroded somewhat.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I keep hearing louder (now even from execs) that Qlik is targeting real feature parity between QlikView and Qlik Sense. While it seems sensible to me to go for Qlik Sense when a company is just starting with intelligent BI/Business Discovery, we may see Qlik eliminate all objections against simply switching from View to Sense within the near future. Which was and still is a bit of a no-no at the moment for companies that have invested heavily in turning QlikView into a business-critical asset.

The future is bright, I'm sure !