Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

REST Connector and Access Tokens

First let me say I'm not very good with Oauth so that could be the issue.

The problem:  We want to consume data from public REST Api's such as Facebook and google Analytics. We noticed there was a "Rest" connector built into Qlik Sense. So we decided to try using this. We were able to connect and import the data it was actually pretty easy to setup. However we have a problem. The access tokens expire after about 60 mins and we aren't very sure how to go about "refreshing" them.

Typically when we use Oauth there is an "authentication" process where your application (PHP or Java) will go to the API endpoint, pass in a key or id and ask for a token. Normally asking the user to "verify" or "allow" this.

Our question is how is this handled with Qlik? In the rest connector is there some "authentication"  process that we aren't aware of?

Below is a screen shot of the current setup of our connector. As you can see we use the Query parameter to add the token as a GET variable to the request URL. This however only works until the token expires which is typically 1 hour.

Our question is, is there a built in method to allow Qlik to refresh the token itself or is there some other method that will allow us to not have to update the connector prior to every import?

auth.png

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

We are encountering the same problem for Google Analytics - which means that every time we want to run our app, we have to update 13 different connectors first (1 for each metric/dimension/segment we want to run). Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

shearwatertroy
Contributor III
Contributor III

I've been trying to sort this out for a long time now.

I think this is why so many people suggest their solution, and why they charge so much for it. I just finished a trial of it, it does work well but I find it loads a bit slow initially, and if your query includes too many metrics it seems to freak out.

leonard_wei
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Did you ever have to authorize and consent after a period of time (token expired) when you were on trial?

shearwatertroy
Contributor III
Contributor III

Not that I can remember. I only had access for 2 weeks to a month. It was a while ago though, memory on this is a little foggy.