Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
randyj_za
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Whats the pros and cons of the BNF reload mode

Hi Brett,

Does this mean that anyone upgrading to April 2019 and beyond cannot execute macros server side anymore? (knowing that BNF would have to be disabled for server execution of macros to work)

Kind Regards

Randy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Randy, yeah, honestly not sure if that is going to be an issue or not for you in April 2019, would try things and see what you see and go from there.  I am not the guy you want trying to help figure out another method either, I spend most of my time in the back-end side of things, not a great developer, so hopefully someone else will see the details you left and they may be able to provide some other ideas that may work better for your use case.  

My hunch regarding any issues would most likely be the OnPostReload trigger being the issue if you are trying to run that as part of a qv.exe /r or via Publisher, as both of those can be problematic with the OnPost Reload given they are trying to shut things down while the trigger is trying to run the macro etc., so that may explain things a bit better.  Not sure of a better means to try to do things though.  

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Randy, need a few more details on this, are you referring to a 'function' you have written in the edit module that you are calling in the script?  That is the only way I see things having any issues here, but need further clarity in order to answer further...

There is an article regarding notice that BNF may still have been able to have been disabled in November 2018 due to a defect as well:

BNF disable no longer possible in April 2019 and later...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
randyj_za
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Brett

I have an older model that sends an email with some data in an Excel file (extracted from model via simple copy - paste commands in macro) that I'm worried might not work in the April 2019 release due to the issues with BNF & Macros. I remember when I did the upgrade to November 2017 (SR6 to be specific) I had to turn off BNF mode with the ///$bnf off function in the beginning of the script for the model to still execute the macro post reload, so my thinking is that if I do the April 2019 upgrade on the server I might lose this - or perhaps I would only need to change some script syntax perhaps?

Kind Regards

Randy

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Randy, yeah, honestly not sure if that is going to be an issue or not for you in April 2019, would try things and see what you see and go from there.  I am not the guy you want trying to help figure out another method either, I spend most of my time in the back-end side of things, not a great developer, so hopefully someone else will see the details you left and they may be able to provide some other ideas that may work better for your use case.  

My hunch regarding any issues would most likely be the OnPostReload trigger being the issue if you are trying to run that as part of a qv.exe /r or via Publisher, as both of those can be problematic with the OnPost Reload given they are trying to shut things down while the trigger is trying to run the macro etc., so that may explain things a bit better.  Not sure of a better means to try to do things though.  

Regards,
Brett

randyj_za
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Brett

Thank you kindly for the advice - I am going to attempt, will revert with what I find - since this is a qv.exe /r type of load (due to the macro being triggered post reload) I have one recourse till I can solve for the model differently - keeping QV Desktop on the current version and only upgrading the server to April 2019 as an interim measure (its not an elegant solution and will probably bother my OCDs, but at least its temporary 🙂 )

Kind Regards

Randy

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Randy, can you potentially try switching the trigger to OnOpen, pretty sure that should fire, but the problem is the order of things is going to be backward, but maybe you could do two things here, run the first/existing thing as it is without the OnPostReload trigger and create a new app that does a binary load off this app and has the other pieces you need but use OnOpen trigger in that case?  Best workaround I have that might do the trick where you are...

Cheers,
Brett