Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dpietersz
Creator
Creator

Readable data scramble

Hi,

I made a QV app and I want to scramble the data so my sales managers can use it for demo purpose.

The standard scramble function makes the fields unreadable.

Is there another technique I could use to scramble data but keep it readable?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Create a mapping table of your real customers, mapping them to the made-up names. Then, use ApplyMap() to map your customers and/or Contact Persons.

Use a default value, so that if you have a customer that's not mapped, his name would be replaced with a default like "Elvis Presley" or something like that.

Oleg

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really, as far as I know.

One thing you can do is scramble only the sensitive fields.. Customer names etc and keep the numeric values intact to show proper sales for an untraceable Customer. Just make sure that one country doesn't have one single customer though as that would make identification fairly simple 🙂

dpietersz
Creator
Creator
Author

That's what I already did but you know Sales people Wink. I had to scramble the Customers and also de contactpersons. But for demo purposes they want more readable name's.

Maybe I could do something in the Load script to mix-up names or part of names?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Create a mapping table of your real customers, mapping them to the made-up names. Then, use ApplyMap() to map your customers and/or Contact Persons.

Use a default value, so that if you have a customer that's not mapped, his name would be replaced with a default like "Elvis Presley" or something like that.

Oleg

dpietersz
Creator
Creator
Author

Thx Oleg,

That sounds like a good solution!

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

An easy way to generate some random names -- or other test data -- is http://www.generatedata.com

-Rob

dpietersz
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Rob,

Excellent tip!!!

This is the perfect solution together with the Applymap suggestion of Oleg!