Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Referencing a variable chart label within the chart

Hello,

I have a chart that shows typical sales information: Sales, Margin and GM%. GM% is calculated as Margin / Sales. The Sales and Margin data can be for any year the user selects. They also have a series of If statements in their expression looking at other selections the user can make in the document. What I want to do is make the Sales and Margin column heading dynamic, showing the year selected, but also be able to reference the expression label to make the GM% definition relatively easy. For example, my Sales and Margin labels would look something like this:

=(SelectYear) & ' Sales'

=(SelectYear) & ' Margin'

But how do I reference these expressions in my GM% definition calculation? Before I added the year to the column heading I had:

Sales had the label = Sales

Margin had the label = Margin

And GM% had the definition = [Margin] / [Sales]

I don't want to have to repeat the definitions for Sales and Margin again in the GM% definition if I don't have to because they can be a little involved. Is there a way to have the column label be one value and the actual data another value to make referencing it within the chart easy?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

As well as referencing a column name, you can also reference a column number, specifically because of this case.

Your first expression is column 1, then 2, then 3 etc.

So, if you have Sales as your first column, margin as you second, then your expression for GM% should be Column(2)/Column(1)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

I'm not sure if I got you right but you can do something similar to label

='% Sales' & vYear
and refer it within an expression
[% Sales $(vYear)] / 100
Now twist this code and change with your own variables. Is that what you are looking for?

Not applicable
Author

As well as referencing a column name, you can also reference a column number, specifically because of this case.

Your first expression is column 1, then 2, then 3 etc.

So, if you have Sales as your first column, margin as you second, then your expression for GM% should be Column(2)/Column(1)

Not applicable
Author

That's it exactly! I figured there had to be a simple way to do it. Thanks.