Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Black_Hole
Creator II
Creator II

Rename fields in Chart Properties

Hello all,

I built a Chart Table in QlikView.

The data has been already loaded from 3 qvd files.

For some common fields between the 3 qvd files, I don't have the same label/name.

I would like to rename the fields without changing the name in the script.

That's why, I tried to modify the label in the Chart Properties.

But, that results in two columns in my table.

DuplicatedColumns.PNG

Please could you tell me if it's possible to rename the common fields between the 3 qvd files and without changing the script (using "AS").

Thank you in advance for your help.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

It's quite frequent that same QVW or QVDs are used by different people when those files are fed by the same source. Note that changing the name in the script does not change the name in the file, unless you STORE those files and overwrite them.

So they will change name in your datamodel, but they will not affect anyone else's apps, as the QVD will keep the same name.

If you do need to store the results of your renaming, I'd suggest using something like "_<username>" and to a broader extent, the use of the Qlik Deployment Framework, or similar mechanism to distinguish files being used from those which are available, and keep track of changes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

In short: no, it's not possible.

If you don't change the name in the script, then they are actually not the same field, even if they have the same values. Charts rely on the data model to aggregate and display data, so depending what you want to show you will need to create a script fit for that purpose.

Is there any particular reason as to why keep the same field on both tables, if both fields are redundant? Would a JOIN between those tables help, if they have several fields in common?

Black_Hole
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi @Miguel_Angel_Baeyens ,

First, thank you for your reply.

Fine, if there is no way to do like asked in my first post. I will modify in my script (I don't have the choice ^^).

To give you a reply to your question : "Is there any particular reason as to why keep the same field on both tables, if both fields are redundant? "

The reason is that the data loaded from the qvd files are not used just by me, but by many users.

Some users don't use the 3 qvd files at the same time but just one of them.

So, they don't have this issue and consequently they want to keep the "original" label.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

It's quite frequent that same QVW or QVDs are used by different people when those files are fed by the same source. Note that changing the name in the script does not change the name in the file, unless you STORE those files and overwrite them.

So they will change name in your datamodel, but they will not affect anyone else's apps, as the QVD will keep the same name.

If you do need to store the results of your renaming, I'd suggest using something like "_<username>" and to a broader extent, the use of the Qlik Deployment Framework, or similar mechanism to distinguish files being used from those which are available, and keep track of changes.

Black_Hole
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi @Miguel_Angel_Baeyens ,

Thank you for sharing the link.

It will be a great help!