Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Running QlikView Desktop in Linux with WINE

Hello,

Last night I did an install of QV10 in Fedora 14 (Linux) using WINE. The installation went without a hitch but when I opened a few documents they all were completely unusable. Most objects were just gray or white boxes, no text was visible inside the document, etc. It didn't working very well to say the least

So I'm basically wondering if anybody has had any success running QV10 on Linux? I'm guessing there is no work being done on a QV-client for Linux any time soon with desktop-PCs in most workplaces running Windows

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Nevermind y'all I fixed it myself. All I had to do to get it working was install gdiplus.dll via the winetricks-script. It took quite a bit of googling to come up with the solution though. But it's running fine now it seems.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Nevermind y'all I fixed it myself. All I had to do to get it working was install gdiplus.dll via the winetricks-script. It took quite a bit of googling to come up with the solution though. But it's running fine now it seems.

Not applicable
Author

hi thedanlof,

does the qlikview whole functions can work, like reload the data from xls openoffice file or reload the data from database server such as SQL Server, Oracle or others kind of database?

Thanks

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi,

I'm trying to get QV 11.2 running on Mac OSX with Wine/Winebottler. It starts and freezes after open a document. I've installed gdiplus Winetricks but didn't helped.. 😞

Any idea...?

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ralf,

Might be a bit late for you, but in case anyone else is looking...

I haven't tried it with Wine Bottler, but have successfully been using QV desktop through Wine installed via Mac Ports for a few years.  I have only been loading data from XLS/txt and not been connecting to DB's when on Mac, but I'd say about 85-90% of the functionality in the desktop product works (I have encountered a few minor problems, but not bothered investigating).

To get it up and running I just installed

• Mac Ports
    • Wine
    • Winetricks
      • GdiPlus
      • .Net FW

Once these have been installed, just run the QV installer via wine and fire up the Qv.exe to start Qlikview as per usual.

Cheers,

Graeme

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Grame,

thanks for the hint. I will try this but also wonder what would be different because it's all Wine. Btw. which QV version have you running on Mac?

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ralf,

I am running 11.2 SR1 on my MBP, and and 11.0 IR on my iMac.  I also previously ran 10.0 SR4 successfully.  As I said - I just use it for personal trading analysis - so am just hitting XLS/txt/http data and haven't tested DB connectivity - but most of the desktop visualisation works (I found a few minor menus that didn't work as expected).  Never found any issues on the scripting side of things.  I wouldn't recommend running a production system on it - but for personal non critical use it's fine.

Cheers,

Graeme

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Thanks. MacPort needs xcode which seems to me a big installation effort. Is there a way to run Wine without it?

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

I had it installed for other development anyway.  I'm not sure if you can run wine without it - but you can install xcode from the app store.  Just click the button and go and make a cup of tea - not too much effort!   Don't forget to install the command line tools as well. 

Graeme