Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emmanueld
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Search for use of variable?

Hi everyone,

I'm working on an app developped by someone else, and I need to change the value of a variable (containing a calculation with set analyses). Is there a way to easily check for the impacts of this change?

I already used settings > expression overview to check for the impacts in the graph expressions, but this variable seems to be used in other variable's definitions, and so far I couldn't find a better way than checking the variable values one by one in the variable overview.

Thank you in advance

6 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

You can use the Applications Meta Data to search for the variable name.

All you have to do is Open New QlikView app. Go to Edit Script and Open the QlikView application (Where you have variable), using "QlikView File"  option.

Once you do that, you will see a automated generated script, which will load all the meta data of the application, like charts, expressions, variables etc.

Once you Reload the script. Go to Sheet and search for the variable name and then you can find which all fields it is affecting including variable.

Hope its clear.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Siva_Sankar
Master II
Master II

Emmanuel,

You can try using docment analyzer, an wonderful too. It gives more information about your application.

Especially use of your variable, expression, fields used and unused, etc.,

It  is generally used for performance optimization. I used to study the app created by someone using the document analyzer tool which is like a data dictionary.

emmanueld
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hello Kaushik, thank you for your answer. I reloaded the script as you explained, but what do you mean 'Go to Sheet and search for the variable name'?

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

What I mean by that is, all you have to do is come out of the edit script and then you can search for a variable name in respective field which stores the variable definition. Or you can use the search object to search the variable name which you were looking for.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
deepti_singh
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Kaushik,

Is there a way to find out the same info in a Qlik Sense app? I have 5 apps and a list of all the variables and master items (both master dimensions and master measures) in the app. But I do not know which of these are actually being used in an app. How can I find out this in a Qlik Sense app?

Thanks,

Deepti