cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Search object to only display exact matches

Hi all,

I have a report where users want to paste a number of product ID's and have the Qlikview sheet only display results for those product ID's.

What is happening at the moment is that if say Product ID "abcd" was entered, the search object will display product "abcd" as well as any other products that have "abcd" in the product ID. For example abcde12, and abcd005.

Is there any way I could make the search object return only exact results?

or can I achieve this in any other way?

any ideas would be much appreciated...

Thanks...

Fab

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey all,

I found a work around as follows:

I had a look here:

https://community.qlik.com/thread/260647

and found out that each product ID will need to be enclosed in brackets.

I found a way to enclose each product ID from Excel in Brackets here:

https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/2991-excel-insert-brackets-around-text.html

Here's my instructions to my user:

To do this you have to enclose each product code in brackets: (productcode1) (productcode2) etc….

Don’t panic!!, there’s a quick way to do this…

Here’s how you do it:

In your excel sheet, add a column next to the product ID column, in this example I’m going to assume that your product code is in column A and your new column is Column B.

In your new column, top cell insert this formula: ="("&A1&")", then drag it down to the end of your selection.

Now select all the cells you want in column B and paste them (CTRL + V) into the Qlikview report (Product Code Lookup) and only the exact codes will be highlighted in yellow:

Now hold the Shift key and click on the first yellow highlighted code as per above and drag down to the last one and they will become highlighted in Green (ie selected to report on). Release the Mouse button and done…

View solution in original post

5 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Try using : parenthesis around the search string, like:  (Search String)

Without braces:                                                        

Capture.JPG

With brace : (exact match)

Capture2.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your replies,

but changing the search to normal still displays products with the search string included...

ie if xxxx is entered into the search, xxxx123still comes up.

I need to be able to input a search string and have only exact matches displayed.

any other ideas how to achieve this?

Thanks...

Fab

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Check my reply: with brackets around the search string, like:  (string)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Tresesco B,

thanks for your reply.

I have been testing this... and as you said, it works fine if i enter one product ID in the search object for example: (xxxx123)

However we are trying to paste in multiple product codes from an excel sheet, which do paste fine in Qlikview access point on the user's browser like below:

ProdCodeLookup.JPG

These are the 13 codes i'm pasting, however I get an extra 10 results from codes that contain those search strings...

SG11CE035
SG11CE036
SG11WS008
SG05WS004C
SG06G003
SG06G004
SG14G002
SG3GSL006
SG3GSL032
SGAU015WMW
SG3GSL033
SG3GSB101C
SG11WS005

However if i put braces () at the start and end of this selection, i get no highlighted results as per below:

ProdCodeLookup2.JPG

Would you know of a way around this?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey all,

I found a work around as follows:

I had a look here:

https://community.qlik.com/thread/260647

and found out that each product ID will need to be enclosed in brackets.

I found a way to enclose each product ID from Excel in Brackets here:

https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/2991-excel-insert-brackets-around-text.html

Here's my instructions to my user:

To do this you have to enclose each product code in brackets: (productcode1) (productcode2) etc….

Don’t panic!!, there’s a quick way to do this…

Here’s how you do it:

In your excel sheet, add a column next to the product ID column, in this example I’m going to assume that your product code is in column A and your new column is Column B.

In your new column, top cell insert this formula: ="("&A1&")", then drag it down to the end of your selection.

Now select all the cells you want in column B and paste them (CTRL + V) into the Qlikview report (Product Code Lookup) and only the exact codes will be highlighted in yellow:

Now hold the Shift key and click on the first yellow highlighted code as per above and drag down to the last one and they will become highlighted in Green (ie selected to report on). Release the Mouse button and done…