Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarno_loubser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Section Access: Combining Field Reduction and OMIT

I already know that what I want to achieve is not possible using Section Access, but describing the issue with reference to section access seams easiest.

Data Source: HR

Section Access Field Reduction: EmployeeID

Section Access OMIT Field: SalaryAmount

I need to cater for the following scenarios:

1. UserA logs in a sees Employee1, Employee2 and Employee3. He also sees SalaryAmount for all three employees; - No Problem here
  2. UserB logs in a sees Employee1 and Employee3. He also sees SalaryAmount for Employee1 and Employee3; - No Problem here
  3. UserC logs in a sees Employee1 and Employee3. He does not see SalaryAmount for Employee1 and Employee3; - No Problem here
  4. UserD logs in a sees Employee1, Employee2 and Employee3. He also sees SalaryAmount for ONLY Employee1 and Employee3; - Problem

As I said – I am aware that OMIT will hide the field (or not) for the user on all records or none.

The question: can anyone think of a way to achieve the goal keeping the following in mind:

1. The Salary Table can have many millions records;
  2. The field need to be hidden ‘n such a way that a self-service user must not be able to get to the values;
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tobias_klett
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Jarno,

forget about the OMIT. What you really want is to reduce the Sales Table differently from the Employee Table. Therefore you need a Link Table for your different Rights like this:

thread_152941.png

Hope this helps.

Regards Tobias

View solution in original post

7 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

If you have Publisher, you can reduce the application on bookmark of your choice. The reduced application doesn't contain left out values(literally 'reduced' ).

jarno_loubser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Tresesco

The problem I have is not hiding rows, but hiding (OMIT) a field, for certain rows. See scenario 4 in my problem statement.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

Have a look at these blog posts:

Generic keys

Data Reduction Using Multiple Fields

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2013/11/25/hierarchy-authorization

Basics for complex authorization

They should help you find the correct approach.

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
jarno_loubser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

jontydkpi

Perhaps I misunderstand your post, but I fail to see how any of those links will help me achieve my scenario 4 in the problem statement?

Let me restate the issue:

How do I show a user a SalaryValue field for certain employees, but not for others. It is not about hiding the row as the employee must still exist in the reduced dataset, but the SalaryValue field must be available on only some of the rows in the users already reduced dataset.

tobias_klett
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Jarno,

forget about the OMIT. What you really want is to reduce the Sales Table differently from the Employee Table. Therefore you need a Link Table for your different Rights like this:

thread_152941.png

Hope this helps.

Regards Tobias

jarno_loubser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Tobias,

Thank you - I will test and report back!

jarno_loubser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Tobias,

It works - Thank you!!