Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwaligora
Creator II
Creator II

Section Access: Strict Exclusion with no Table Linking

Hi,

I'm putting together an Executive Summary dashboard. It has data from many different parts of the company. The data uses hierarchy for section access, so that every person can see data pertaining to themselves and their subordinates. So far, so good. 

The challenge is that keeping the data linked on the REDUCTION column (aka employee names) is NOT helpful in the current context. (If anything, at some point I may wish to link everything based on dates instead).

To help paint the picture, let's say we're a reporting on resource usage in our reporting chain - it's important to know that 20 muffins got eaten, and even that Tim ate 19 of them. It's also important to know that the printer got used 60 times, with 3 of these being Tim's print jobs. It is completely irrelevant to link the muffin eating with printer usage data, even though Tim was involved in both.

To circumvent the linking, I used multiple REDUCTION columns (i.e. MUFFINS.NAMES and PRINTER.NAMES). This, of course, landed me with the Strict Exclusion problem. If Maria ate no muffins, she doesn't get access to the dashboard, even if she used the printer many times. I don't want to remove the Strict Exclusion feature because that will translate to Maria seeing ALL user data in the muffins table.

Troubleshooting this further, I added a FAKE record to each and every one of my data tables on which a REDUCTION applies (...the Muffins and the Printer tables).  All users are granted access to FAKE records. This approach works (after exclusion of the FAKE records from any front-end set analysis calculations), but it's cumbersome and it's got 'overkill' written all over it.

Is there an easier way? ...keeping in mind that I don't want the data to be linked on the fields used for Section Access REDUCTION?

Thanks,
J.

0 Replies