Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbrown24
Contributor II
Contributor II

Section Access Uhhggg

Hi all I am attempting to tackle section access set up and it isn't going how I expect: Any help you can provide would be great.

Goal: 

I need to setup access so that a person can only see data related to there specific department

what I have tried:

1) I created a security name table using an employee username, assigned password and the department they can access. here's an example:

Section Access;

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, DEPARTMENT

ADMIN,ADMIN, ADMIN1, *

ADMIN, RBRXXX1, 34561,VBMC EMERGENCY DEPT

USER, USER, USER1, PHC EMERGENCY DEPT

];

Section Application;

DepartmentDSC, DEPARTMENT

PHC EMERGENCY DEPT, PHC EMERGENCY DEPT

VBMC EMERGENCY DEPT, VBMC EMERGENCY DEPT

LOAD * INLINE [

];

2) I checked off 'Initial Data ReductionBased on Section Avccess'>Strict exclusion within the document properties and 'Opening' tab

The issues I have had:

1) when I test login to qlikview it only shows the department Name as a selection op[tion but NO data associated to that department

2) when I test login to qlikview it shows me all the data and ignores the section access

3) when I try to refresh the data on the server side it fails to reload and I receive an error saying it cannot access

Helllppppppp

3 Replies
Colin-Albert

Have you seen this document by marcus_sommer which brings together most resources on Section Access into one set of links.

Section Access

Colin-Albert

A couple of possible causes for your issues:

2) when I test login to qlikview it shows me all the data and ignores the section access

If testing on the desktop client and switching between users, you will need to fully exit QlikView to be able to change user, as the user details are retained if you just reload the same application.

3) when I try to refresh the data on the server side it fails to reload and I receive an error saying it cannot access

The service account that is running the QlikView Distribution Service, must be listed in the Secvtion Access script as an admin user with full access to all data. Otherwise section access will only load data that the service account login has access to, and data will be missing for other users.

This may also cause the missing data you are seeing in Q1 when I test login to qlikview it only shows the department Name as a selection op[tion but NO data associated to that department

rbrown24
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I haven't seen it but I will take a look and if I have additional questions or have difficulty I will reach out for help again, thankyou for your timely response I appreciate the help