Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ninnartx
Creator
Creator

Section Access for Qlikview Desktop

Hi,

I'm using the Qlikview desktop version while waiting to sort some stuff out for the server edition.

I have a few questions on Section Access.

For now, there is section access to control what each user sees. However, since it's the desktop version and the file is located on a shared folder,

1. I was wondering if there would be any issue if 2 different users open the file at the same time.

2. Can each user create a bookmark? (I've experimented with this a little and found that if I were to create a bookmark and then proceed to save the file, it messes with the section access for the next users. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

Any tips / guidance would be appreciated! Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Section access is applied when opening the application, using the user credentials and (when data reduction is enabled) the data model of the opened application.

Hence, you need to take care to store the QVW only when there is all data needed for all users contained in the open QVW.

If you are restricted user and open the QVW, the data will be reduced to the records you are allowed to see.

If you then save the file, the next user may not see the data he wants to see, or even worse, he may be denied access to the QVW for the same reason (data model doesn't fit his reduction field values).

So, as a good practice, always do a reload before saving (though this might not be what you want when restricting user access).

Or don't save a reduced application, overwriting the complete data model.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Section access is applied when opening the application, using the user credentials and (when data reduction is enabled) the data model of the opened application.

Hence, you need to take care to store the QVW only when there is all data needed for all users contained in the open QVW.

If you are restricted user and open the QVW, the data will be reduced to the records you are allowed to see.

If you then save the file, the next user may not see the data he wants to see, or even worse, he may be denied access to the QVW for the same reason (data model doesn't fit his reduction field values).

So, as a good practice, always do a reload before saving (though this might not be what you want when restricting user access).

Or don't save a reduced application, overwriting the complete data model.