Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section access and data reduction

I am currently learning how to work with section access and I have a question about data reduction. As I understand it, it is possible with section access to give the user access to specific parts of the document data according to his userID. An user with administrator rights will always have access to all the data. However I cannot see any difference in behavior if I don't check the "Initial data reduction based on section access". Is it normal or did I miss something? I understand the point of the "initial data reduction" checkbox but I do not understand the goal of implementing a section access defining values of a given field available to a given user without checking the box. Can someone give me some explanation about that?

18 Replies
Not applicable
Author

George,

Just trying out some possibilites, function qvuser() will return the logged in user (even for desktop application). If that one used in to set a filter using onopen trigger this is possible.

Kiran.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Section Access has two functions:

1 - Authentication.  Based on it, user can or cannot open the document.  It may have login prompt (auth by user/password) or without prompt (e.g. by NTNAME).

2 - Data reduction.  This is optional, and require reduction fields in Section Access and in Section Application, and the box must be checked.

There cannot be not data reduction if the box is not checked.  There cannot be data reduction if Section Access doesn't exist (commented out)

Not applicable
Author

@Michael: But if a document with a section access part in the loading script is reloaded and the section access part is commented out after the reload, will the section access still be active when someone opens the document after the file is saved?

Also, if someone opens a document with the "initial data reduction" checked, unchecks the box and save the document, will the document data of the saved contain all the initial data, just the data the user got when he opens or something else?

Not applicable
Author

I just got a DSI from the customer, and it contains the line "Access USER" while I have a "Access ADMIN" when I open the same document. Doesn't it indicate that there is indeed a section access used in the document?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Any changes in the script take effect only after reload.

Checkbox change doesn't require reload.

Not applicable
Author

Kiran,

As I said the user who has the problem has a user access to the document and not an admin one, so there must be an active section access. I guess it is based on the windows user or the qv serial, so the access control can be done without prompt. It does not explain the data difference but it is a first step.

I have another question: how to know if there is an implemented section access in a document current data (because the script could have been modified and saved after the reload)?

rrsrini2907
Creator
Creator

The Section Access is applied in your document.

And FYI, the check box for "Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access" will be effective when you open the document thtough web browser.

Even if there is no section access in ur document and when you check this option, open this document from Server.

It will prompt for username and password. If it is not through NTID.

Regards

Srini.

Not applicable
Author

Create an alert, On post reduce would help.

Kiran

Not applicable
Author

I tried to call a macro called SayReduction on the OnPostReduceData event but it does not seem to be called for any user (tested on QV10 SR2).

I attached a test document which can be opened with the following credentials:

• admin / admin -> admin access without data reduction
  • admin2 / admin2 -> admin access with data reduction
  • user / user -> user access with data reduction

Am I doing something wrong?