Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leale1997
Contributor III
Contributor III

'Select in Field' and 'Toggle Select' Actions and functionality.

I have a button with Actions assigned to it. 

The Action should 'Select in Field' and than ' Toggle Select' to filter the data. 

Example:

Select in Field - Field A = Blue

Toggle Select - Field B = 2

In this example the button would select all records where Field A was equal to Blue and Field B was equal to 2.

This works well when the records are available for selection.

However, when there is a scenario where Field A does have records equal to 'Blue', but Field B has no records = 2, the action will drop the first criteria and show all records where Field B = 2 regardless of the Field A content. In other words, when the defined criteria is not available it selects the next available instead of showing 0.

5 Replies
Kushal_Chawda

Why don't you just not giving the Field A and Field B as selections so that user can select the criteria of his interest.?

vikasmahajan

in search you can mansion   Blue | 2

Vikas

Hope this resolve your issue.
If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution & like it.
If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Colin-Albert

What you describe is the normal filtering functionality in QlikView. When field B has no records equal to 2 and a user selects 2, all other filters are removed so data is returned rather than showing nothing. This is how the Green, White and Grey background colour on list boxes works.

List Boxes and Green, White, Gray - YouTube

You may want to lock your selection on field A.

Perhaps the best option is to add listboxes for field A & field B so you users can see how the data interacts when they make selections.

leale1997
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I did in fact used to have list boxes with drop downs that did work.  However, my users are sometimes unwilling/unable to understand/learn their own data and know what drop downs to use to get the correct grouping to view their KPI's.  I am sure that never happens to anyone else. 

I like the idea of locking the field?  If I have multiple buttons do i have to direct each of the other buttons to unlock those same fields?

Colin-Albert

There is an unlock icon on the toolbar that will unlock all fields.

You can also assign the "Unlock All" action to a button or textbox in your application, or assign a series of unlock actions to unlock specific fields.