Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Self Publishing

Hello my fellow QlikView friends.  I would like to ask about self publishing.  The way I understand it, one would have to purchase a license for both QlikView and QlikView server.  Is this correct?  Seems impossible for an individual to publish an app on their personal site if this is the case.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi there,

You are correct about needing a QlikView server in order to publish documents to the internet.  Also, if you are intending this to be to an open audience then the cost becomes very prohibitive.

If you do not need the recipients of the information to be able to drill and navigate the data you can save screenshots or images of individual objects to a web server and publish those.  This process can be automated if you use macros on reload.

If the recipients need to be able to interact with the data they will need a QlikView licence of some kind.  The absolute minimum requirement is that each recipient has a QlikView Desktop licence of their own.  Once you get to a certain number of users then a Small Business Server with a number of Document CALs can become more economical.  Each user will need a named licence still though.

There are third party products that make distribution to non licenced users easier.  The one that we use, recommend and resell is called NPrinting.  With this you could build a HTML template and then have it populated with fresh data (both images and tables of information) on a schedule.  It can also push PDF, Excel and other MS file formats via the file system or email.

Hope that helps.

Steve

View solution in original post

3 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi there,

You are correct about needing a QlikView server in order to publish documents to the internet.  Also, if you are intending this to be to an open audience then the cost becomes very prohibitive.

If you do not need the recipients of the information to be able to drill and navigate the data you can save screenshots or images of individual objects to a web server and publish those.  This process can be automated if you use macros on reload.

If the recipients need to be able to interact with the data they will need a QlikView licence of some kind.  The absolute minimum requirement is that each recipient has a QlikView Desktop licence of their own.  Once you get to a certain number of users then a Small Business Server with a number of Document CALs can become more economical.  Each user will need a named licence still though.

There are third party products that make distribution to non licenced users easier.  The one that we use, recommend and resell is called NPrinting.  With this you could build a HTML template and then have it populated with fresh data (both images and tables of information) on a schedule.  It can also push PDF, Excel and other MS file formats via the file system or email.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you very much for the information.  I was planning on building an application on my own database for a hobby, but if no one can use it, that isn't going to be very beneficial.  I will take a look at NPrinting.  Thanks again

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi - you may find NPrinting cost prohibitive for a hobby app.  I would recommend looking at exporting images and data at the end of a reload.  This example I uploaded shows how this can be done:

QlikView App: Export Chart and Sheet to an Image File

If you schedule a reload using Windows Scheduler this can be done at a beat.

If you do want to get a trial version of NPrinting please drop me a direct message.

Hope that helps,

Steve