Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Send email from a qvw viewed in the Browser?

Hi,

I'm just contemplating what options I have to further simplify the process of the teams getting feedback back to me whenever something in a QlikView_app is implausible or plain wrong.

Seemingly, writing an email is too much of an effort - it isn't happening, for whatever reason.

What I would like to do is the following:

- All of the teams, to my knowledge, have a team-email-account, so when they log in to their Teamboard, where the QV_license is, they could also use Outlook to send emails.

=> Could I somehow integrate a mailto_link in a textbox without the use of a macro which would impact resource-usage?
     (there is a textbox with meta-info on the app on every sheet (all linked))

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

7 Replies
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

you could in a pivot-table with hyperlinks as content-presentation the following mailto-string use to open outlook with recipient/subject/body - I think it will work with a textbox, too:

mailto: marcus.sommer@md.de?subject=Betreff&body=Inhalt

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

I will try. That would be cool, if I can set a subject already - it should be possible then to use the sheet_ID as part of the subject, then I know what the email is about.

In the body, I could possibly already state the current set of selections and the value of variables to further narrow down the area where the problem is to be found.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

thinking it over, I think I will just look if I can find a space (on every sheet in every app) to place a button to automatically start MS_Outlook, which should be installed on every Team_PC.

=> The remaining question would be:

=> What would I have to enter (in the field "parameter", I guess) to automatically have a new email created

with a specific subject ("Feedback QlikView" or sth. like that)

The remainder (specifying the object_ID where something is wrong and so on) would remain to be done by the users.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

if you want start outlook directly (maybe you could so add more and/or better informations) these hints could be helpful for you:

Re: How to connect Qlikview to Outlook 2007 for extract Data Calendar and Mails

Re: Error in Macro script

Re: Macro does not work.. Help needed

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

thanks! Hmm... merely from looking, I'd assume that it's possible without a macro if I could find the right syntax for the "parameter" field - but I don't know.

Honestly though, rather than use a macro that would somewhat slow down the whole thing - as it would have to be in every single app, with a button on every single sheet to serve the purpose - I'd rather just leave it at the action of starting Outlook and leave everything else to the users.

Still, it would be nice. I will have a look at all those articles.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I just talked to an external consultant.

This seems to not be possible yet - without the use of a macro, that  is.

They say it will be possible in one of the next releases.

Meanwhile, I can leave it at opening Outlook, it's better than naught.

OR - I have thought of another way, maybe that would be an option? There is a documentation in Word format for each and every QlikView_app we have. In that documentation, on page 4 or so, there is a table with the contact data of the QlikView_team - with mailto-Links which work fine in Word.

Would it be possible (to start that documentation, no problem there, and) to pass the parameter of opening that page?

Otherwise, I could still create a one_page_document in MS_Word with only that table.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

is it a thought worth to transfer (parts from) your documentation into qlikview? I know qv isn't really designed for this but if you have a quite homogenous documentation-structure the effort to put these informations in various textboxes and perhaps buttons to control the visibility could be manageable.

- Marcus