Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Show rolling 3 months on bar chart

I am trying to display the rolling 3 months on a bar chart when you select a month and year.  Example:  Select June 2014 and display the months of April, may and June.  I have tried several different solutions (some provided from some of the posts on this site), but nothing seems to work.

I have attached a QlikView file showing the chart and date selections along with an Excel file of the test data.  When I select a Month, it only show the selected month and not the 2 prior months.  If I select the year without a month, all the months appear instead of the last three months only.  You will also see a text box below the chart that displays the values of the variables I use in the expression.  I can see that the variables are calculating the correct values when a month is selected, but they do not seem to be affecting the chart.

Does anyone have a solution.for this?

Thanks.

Ed

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Try using Set Analysis with months < than selected month-3.

Not applicable
Author

So I changed:

MASTERCALENDAR:

LOAD

TEMPDATE AS DATE,

MONTH(TEMPDATE) AS MONTH,

NUM(MONTH(TEMPDATE)) AS MONTH_NUMERIC,   

YEAR(TEMPDATE) AS YEAR,

'Q' & CEIL(MONTH(TEMPDATE) / 3) AS QUARTER,

'Q' & CEIL(MONTH(TEMPDATE) / 3) &'-'& YEAR(TEMPDATE) AS QUARTER_YEAR,

DUAL( WEEKSTART(TEMPDATE, 0 ,-2) & ' - ' & WEEKEND(TEMPDATE, 0 ,-2), WEEKSTART(TEMPDATE, 0 ,-2)) AS WEEK,

DATE(MONTHSTART(TEMPDATE),'MMM-YYYY') AS MONTHYEAR,

INYEARTODATE(TEMPDATE, $(vMAXDATE), 0) *  -1 AS CURYTDFLG,

INYEARTODATE(TEMPDATE, $(vMAXDATE), -1) *  -1 AS LASTYTDFLG

Resident TEMPCAL

ORDER BY TEMPDATE ASC;

your vMaxMonth Variable into: =Max(MONTH_NUMERIC)

and last but not least:

=Sum ({$<MONTH_NUMERIC = {">=$(=vMaxMonth-3)"}>}Balance)

Have Fun withit

maxgro
MVP
MVP

try to start from this expression (see attachment)

= Sum ({$<EOM_DATE={">=$(=AddMonths(MonthStart(vSelectedMaxDate),-2))<=$(=MonthEnd(vSelectedMaxDate))"}, MONTH=,QUARTER=,YEAR=>}Balance)

another llittle but useful thing

if you remove (blank) the expression label you can see the set analysis expression

1.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks, Patrick and Massimo.

Both solutions work well in the test file I sent.  I am still having a problem with my live data (still only showing a single month), but this gives me more to work with.  It may how the live data date field is defined.

Ed

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I found and corrected the issue in my live file.   When I defined the date in the load statement I had it defined as:

DATE(EOM_DATE,'M/D/2014') AS EOM_DATE    instead of     DATE(EOM_DATE,'M/D/YYYY') AS EOM_DATE.

This did not cause an error in loading the data, BUT - it caused my expression not to work.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ed