Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhorneber
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Sorting by expression in list box

Hi,

I am struggling with the sorting behavior in list boxes and can't figure out how to make it work.

I have a couple of list boxes with multiple entries that I want to have sorted in a specific order. When selecting one or more elements, the selected elements should come first, then the not selected elements. The important part: Also the not selected elements should keep their order.

To maintain my sorting order, I added a separate 'sorting column' to my data model.

This is a simpli !fied example with just for entries:

Data:

LOAD * Inline [

Letter, Sort

H, 10

P, 40

L, 30

E, 20

];

My expectation was that having the following settings in my list box should work correctly:

screenshot1.JPG

Unfortunately, although the sorting works when not selecting anything, the order gets messed up when selecting e.g. the letter 'L':

screenshot2.JPG

Again, my expectation was to have L on top, and then H > E > P below. But somehow the sorting order only applies to the selection.

Any ideas how to fix that or why this behavior happens?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Try this sort expression:

=Only({1} Sort)

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sunny_talwar

Try this sort expression:

=Only({1} Sort)

Capture.PNG

bhorneber
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Quick and easy. Thanks a lot!

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

As Sunny has pointed out, your values for "Sort" are not available when you make a selection, and the {1} will fix that.

I'd like to suggest that it may be easier to  deal with this by using "Load Order", rather than an expression.

Establishing a Sort Order | Qlikview Cookbook

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

bhorneber
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Thanks, Rob.

I thought about using load order as well and might play around with that a little more too.

Given the layout of the data sources and the data model in general, having a separate column is my preferred solution at this point. But as always, it's great to have some alternatives available.

paul8pharma
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thank you! This 5 year old post has helped me solve a problem I've had for a couple of days.