Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sorting by expression-value in a barchart

Hi all,

I am having some diffuculty sorting my bars in the bar chart according to a descending numeric value. I seem to have no problem doing this in my Straight Tables, as I go to Sort and then I choose my value-expression, called "Current Selections" as first priority and do sort by Numeric Value descending. When I do the same for the bar chart it just doesn't sort and remains sorted by the dimension (in this case "Country". Is there anyone who has come across this problem?

Capture.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

I think this is a bug (introduced in one of the last SR's). Sorting by an expression like this doesn't work afaict. Try promoting the Country dimension to the top position and choose the option Sort by Expression. Then enter the same expression you used for Current Selections again in the input box.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

10 Replies
sunny_talwar

Try sorting your dimension (Country) by Y-Value descending:

Capture.PNG

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi Espen,

can you upload an example qvw please?

Andy

Gysbert_Wassenaar

I think this is a bug (introduced in one of the last SR's). Sorting by an expression like this doesn't work afaict. Try promoting the Country dimension to the top position and choose the option Sort by Expression. Then enter the same expression you used for Current Selections again in the input box.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I am unable to "Sort by" Y-value or state as you have in your image above. How did you get this?

Not applicable
Author

Didn't make any difference to my sorting. 😞

Not applicable
Author

That worked perfectly Gysbert! Thanks a lot 🙂

Gysbert_Wassenaar

He's using an earlier version of QV than you are.

sunny_talwar

To tell you the trust, I am not sure. I have this application that I worked on in the past and I checked the properties of a bar chart object in it. Seems to have the Sort by Y-value in it for a bar chart. Not really sure why its not there for you.

sunny_talwar

Gysbert‌, are you saying that I am using an older version? Currently I am working on SR12, (although the application was built on an older version) But I do see that option in the properties when I open sort tab. May be it has to do with what version the application was built in, rather than what version I currently have??