Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Split Field (Column) based on | delimiter into multiple columns (variable number)

‌Hi All

The problem that I have is that I am loading .csv from AWS and want to split out a field where the the number of columns produced is variable and the delimter is |. The variablity is from not needing a split to having 20 new columns split out. The data is a database of web behavior and visit dates, pages visited, etc. The data is grouped per user within one field. For Example:

Anonymous Unique IDPages Visited
Sources

aD56-9045id-a4nj

www.example.com|www.example.com/page1|www.example.com/page2Google|Facebook|Email
dRTY-8778id-b3hkwww.example.com|www.example.com/page4|www.example.com/page3|www.example.comEmail|Google
l0rd-3423id-kl21www.example.com|www.example.com/page5Email
f@rt-3782id-nn2wwww.example.comEmail

I want to split the Page Visted and dates visited so into columns so they remain as a data point associated to the ID. I have looked on the forums and I know that some of the answers are out there, but I am completely new and I have no idea how to take the scripts I have seen (for example subfield) and translate to work for my example. The more detailed the answer the better. I learn fast with a couple good examples. Thank you for the help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Try this

Table:

LOAD [Anonymous Unique ID],

[Pages Visited],

SubField([Sources], '|') as [Sources];

SubField([Pages Visited], '|') as [Pages Visited],

Sources;

LOAD * INLINE [

Anonymous Unique ID, Pages Visited, Sources

aD56-9045id-a4nj, www.example.com|www.example.com/page1|www.example.com/page2, Google|Facebook|Email

dRTY-8778id-b3hk, www.example.com|www.example.com/page4|www.example.com/page3|www.example.com, Email|Google

l0rd-3423id-kl21, www.example.com|www.example.com/page5, Email

f@rt-3782id-nn2w, www.example.com, Email

];

View solution in original post

3 Replies
sunny_talwar

The first row from your data have 3 pages visited, but only 2 dates... how do you know which page was visited on what date?

sunny_talwar

Try this

Table:

[Pages Visited],

SubField([Sources], '|') as [Sources];

SubField([Pages Visited], '|') as [Pages Visited],

Sources;

LOAD * INLINE [

Anonymous Unique ID, Pages Visited, Sources

aD56-9045id-a4nj, www.example.com|www.example.com/page1|www.example.com/page2, Google|Facebook|Email

dRTY-8778id-b3hk, www.example.com|www.example.com/page4|www.example.com/page3|www.example.com, Email|Google

l0rd-3423id-kl21, www.example.com|www.example.com/page5, Email

f@rt-3782id-nn2w, www.example.com, Email

];

anu
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Sunny,

can u pls explain how this works with preceeding load. I am not able to get its working.