Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Storing data in a qvd - is it overwritten?

Hi,

in one of my apps - going to be several - I take the most up-to-date data for displaying a status and store it into a qvd file that I can

subsequently load into a management_dashboard.

My question is thus:

- I need and want only one record per day (with the data of one day before, that is the most current) in that file

<=> The app reloads every three hrs or so.

=> Will that qvd be overwritten every time (there's no timestamp in there, just a date, so the record_to_be_saved should be identical)?

<=> otherwise, I'd have to load it and check whether there is a record for the present day.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

4 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

that's not as easy as it seems - I cannot find a way of identifying whether the date I have in the existing qvd file is equal to (yesterday).

Can someone help me there?

(I tried defining a variable, but it turned out wrong, so it seems that I cannot check that)

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: It seems, though, that the qvd is indeed overwritten every time. That's just what I want, too.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Assume Data is a field from your QVD. Then check whether

... Floor(Date) = Floor(Today() - 1) ...

Best,

Peter

Not applicable

Hi,

The STORE command will overwrite the existing file, if any. So your QVD will get the last table exported into it.

The problem you are facing is that you can export only ONE table with the STORE command. No local variable.

if you want to store a date, you need to create a field with that date and check it.

According to your prcess, you may:

- create another QVD and test it

- check the date with the FILETIME() function

- import one single QVW   (the whole model) that you will complete with the rest of the load

Fabrice

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

sorry if I formulated it unclearly, I don't want to store any variable - that was just for testing whether QlikView would realize that yesterday's date was already present in the existing qvd. The FILETIME() function seems like a very good solution - I looked at those myself actually, but I didn't quite realize that would do the trick...

<=> Since the qvd is overwritten every time, I have no problem - for now (the decision to display yesterday's status, and only that, was mine for lack of any feedback from management - let's see if they are ok with that or if they want to see more without actually opening that particular app...

Best regards,

DataNibbler