Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Synthetic vs. Calculated Dimension

I have a list of 10 vendors. I'm using a slider object to select weeks to perform set analysis. Here's an example:

error loading image

Now, I would like to compare 1 vendor to the others. To that end, I've created an Input Box to store vCurrentVendor (e.g., 'Dell'). The first thing I tried was to create 2 calculated dimensions, as follows:

Dimension1: =Vendor = vCurrentVendor
Dimension2: =Vendor <> vCurrentVendor

This didn't work. So I tried hard-coding the vendor name as follows:

Dimension1: =Vendor = 'Dell'
Dimension2: =Vendor <> 'Dell'

The results are correct, but it's not displaying as expected:

error loading image

It was suggested that the way to get the results displayed correctly would be to use a synthetic dimension. First, I started with hard-coding the string values as follows:

Dimension 1: =Valuelist('Dell')
Dimension 2: =ValueList('Acer', 'Apple', 'ASUS', 'Fujitsu', 'HP', 'Lenovo', 'Samsung', 'Sony', 'Toshiba')

error loading image

This isn't right. So, I inserted a ' Vendor =' before my ValueList statements. Again, that didn't work.

I suppose I could skip the dimensions altogether and do everything via set analysis. I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Here is the solution. It's described within the QVW.

enjoy!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You don't need 2 Dimensions in order to compare the two - you need 1 Dimension with 2 values. I posted an example in the previous thread that you started on a similar topic - please look it up.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg, Thank you for your help. If I was able to figure it out on my own, I wouldn't have re-posted. I'm sure this is clear as day for you, but not so much for me. 🙂

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Why don't you post your example, and I'll show you the solution there?

Not applicable
Author

Here's a sample. I had to zip it up because it was apparently too large to post.

[View:http://community.qlik.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/11/7484.test5.zip:550:0]

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Here is the solution. It's described within the QVW.

enjoy!

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Oleg!!! This is great!!!