Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iwin
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Tips for getting started on new project

Hi All,

I have been recently assigned a new project in QV and am finding it a bit difficult handling it as I am the only person in the project.

The one who handled this project is not currently assigned to another project and is unable to provide explainations regarding the data model used in the apps ,expressions ,tables ,charts etc.

So now how should I start handling project and what should I look into first?

Client keeps asking the mapping of certain fields .What does that mean exactly?

I am in a fix currently.Please help.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dalton_Ruer
Support
Support

I feel for you. It's never fun to have something new dumped in your lap. 

1. In QlikView you can show the Data Model via a button on the menu bar. Not sure if they are interested in knowing how the tables are "inter related" or not. 

Dalton_Ruer_0-1620236938692.png

2. My advice is simply invite them to a virtual screen share session, or invite them to your cube if you are in office. Let them show you exactly what they are referring to on the screen. Perhaps a field says "State Name" on the screen but they need to know what "real field" that is referring to. You can right click on any chart and look at the dimensions/measures to find out. 

Dalton_Ruer_1-1620237119537.png

3. Qlik has a partner called NodeGraph that will build an automated data lineage/catalog for you that  you as a developer or end users can access to figure out exactly what data they are looking at and where it coms from. With Governance like they provide through automation you can better understand your own infrastructure and end users benefit by being able to trust what they are looking at.  https://www.nodegraph.se/

Dalton_Ruer_2-1620237234156.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Dalton_Ruer
Support
Support

I feel for you. It's never fun to have something new dumped in your lap. 

1. In QlikView you can show the Data Model via a button on the menu bar. Not sure if they are interested in knowing how the tables are "inter related" or not. 

Dalton_Ruer_0-1620236938692.png

2. My advice is simply invite them to a virtual screen share session, or invite them to your cube if you are in office. Let them show you exactly what they are referring to on the screen. Perhaps a field says "State Name" on the screen but they need to know what "real field" that is referring to. You can right click on any chart and look at the dimensions/measures to find out. 

Dalton_Ruer_1-1620237119537.png

3. Qlik has a partner called NodeGraph that will build an automated data lineage/catalog for you that  you as a developer or end users can access to figure out exactly what data they are looking at and where it coms from. With Governance like they provide through automation you can better understand your own infrastructure and end users benefit by being able to trust what they are looking at.  https://www.nodegraph.se/

Dalton_Ruer_2-1620237234156.png

Iwin
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thanks Dalton for the advice.

I have started the project first by understanding the data model and the data sources .

Also have interacted with the client to get to know more about the business side and understand the reports.