Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

To export to PPT what do we need toinstall Qlikview OCX or IE Plugin

Hi,I have recently started using Qlik view and I would like to know that to be able to export all the sheets of qlikview in a powerpoint what needs to be installed -Qlikview OCX or Qlikview IE plugin?

I went through some of the old post in the community but some posts mention it as OCX and some as IE plugin.I am totally confused what is best.Also,if anyone could throw some light on what is the exact difference between the two and the benefits it will be easier to evaluate which one is best needed for ones use.

Thanks in Advance !!!

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You can export the sheet objects to powerpoint using macros.

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

You didn't mention if you want to take every object from a sheet, because all objects from 1 sheet will be a lot of informations in 1 slide of powerpoint, which you have to iterate all objects from every sheet.

If you plan to write some Add-In or something it is good to use the OCX, while downloading it and register it with regsvr32.exe <OCX-name> in order to be able to use it later in C#.

Now, if you want to export your sheets, you can either program it in C# or as XXX. mentioned, you can write it in macro. Now if you plan to export a lot of sheet and a lot other QlikView documents, start using the OCX, because you can automatically make usage of your C# program to be run every day like a scheduling task which will do that export into PowerPoint.

What is the + of the C#? You write it once and never again, since you launch your program with a batch file. The - of macro, you need to copy/paste the code again and again for every new QlikView report and adapt it, which makes things boring after the 100 time of copy/paste/adapt.

The + of C# is, it can generate websites from your PowerPoint in order to visualize it and code can be fast changed in such a way that you can export it to Excel in same time.

A question to you, how many time do you have to do it and what is your knowledge in programming?

If you want to loop through all sheets and objects you can do it with following code in VBScript:

Sub Loop_Sheets_And_Objects

'loop through all sheets

for i = 0 to ActiveDocument.NoOfSheets - 1

'Switching between Sheets

'ActiveDocument.Sheets(ActiveDocument.Sheets(i).GetProperties.Name).Activate

'msgbox(ActiveDocument.Sheets(i).GetProperties.Name)

set s=ActiveDocument.Sheets(ActiveDocument.Sheets(i).GetProperties.Name)

orignumber=s.NoOfSheetObjects

for j=0 to orignumber-1

rem ** get unique object ID for given object on sheet **

set so = s.SheetObjects(j)

'msgbox(so.GetObjectId)

id = so.GetObjectId

'msgbox("ID = " & id)

'Access on specific Object Id

IF id="Document\T_DAILY_SUM" THEN

msgbox("Access on a table")

END IF

next

next   

End Sub

Now you can have every single object and can use it in order to export it to powerpoint, but still have to create a new powerpoint application.

That way would be for macro. For C# it will change since you'll be working with the OCX.

axQlikOCX1 = new AxQlikOCXLib.AxQlikOCX();

axQlikOCX1.CreateControl();

axQlikOCX1 = null;

qvReport = null;

qvReport = axQlikOCX1.OpenDocument(filepath, "", "");

public IList<QlikViewItem> GetItems()

{

if (qvReport == null)

throw new Exception("Load a QlikView Report before accessing Shapes");

if (items == null)

{

IList<QlikViewItem> list = new List<QlikViewItem>();

for (int i = 0; i < qvReport.NoOfSheets(); i++)

{

Sheet s = qvReport.GetSheet(i.ToString());

for (int j = 0; j < s.NoOfSheetObjects(); j++)

{

list.Add(new QlikViewItem() { Sheet = s, SheetObject = s.SheetObjects(j.ToString()) });

}

}

items = list;

}

return items; // have all objects/items of your report.

}

You see the difference in code? That's only for getting the items, now you still have to use Mircosoft.Office.Interop to open a new powerpoint and paste the object inside etc etc. It's getting more complexe working with the OCX than with the macro, but the once the code written it's easier for the export of sheets to Powerpoint.

If you have a lot of time, write it in C# and work with OCX, if you don't, work with macro and do copy/paste/adapt( what my company used to do before I came, and now kicked that and doing it with C# program instead) and schedule it every day.

Hope this opens another vision of your perspective