Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kayde_72
Contributor III
Contributor III

Tracking Historical Changes Through Naming Conventions and Their Totals

I am working on a project with commodities and invoices that are tied to them. We review and change commodity names every once in a while and we lose the data behind the past data. Simply put, how do I track historical data of past commodity names and tie them to the new one?

Rough Example:

Commodity: Pie                Invoice Total: $2,500   January 1-Jan 31

Change----- made on Feb 1

Commodity: Pie ---> Pie Crust               Invoice Total: $3,000  Feb 1- Feb28

Change----- made on March 1

Commodity: Pie Crust ---> Pie Crust & Slices           Invoice Total: $1,000  March 1- March 31

I want to look up Pie Crust & Slices as the current commodity and have the historical invoices come with it. So

Search ---> Pie Crust & Slices  Invoice Total: $6,500   (Not the current $1,000)

I have a lot of commodities that have been through several changes like this, whether the change is through the account code or commodity name. I am not sure how to connect them. Any help is appreciated! Thank you

Labels (4)
2 Replies
Pillow410
Contributor
Contributor

@skylightpaycard wrote:

I am working on a project with commodities and invoices that are tied to them. We review and change commodity names every once in a while and we lose the data behind the past data. Simply put, how do I track historical data of past commodity names and tie them to the new one?

Rough Example:

Commodity: Pie                Invoice Total: $2,500   January 1-Jan 31

Change----- made on Feb 1

Commodity: Pie ---> Pie Crust               Invoice Total: $3,000  Feb 1- Feb28

Change----- made on March 1

Commodity: Pie Crust ---> Pie Crust & Slices           Invoice Total: $1,000  March 1- March 31

I want to look up Pie Crust & Slices as the current commodity and have the historical invoices come with it. So

Search ---> Pie Crust & Slices  Invoice Total: $6,500   (Not the current $1,000)

I have a lot of commodities that have been through several changes like this, whether the change is through the account code or commodity name. I am not sure how to connect them. Any help is appreciated! Thank you

This is my general format, however it really depends on the specifics of how your websites are set up, and what you want to measure. For example, for many of my clients we set up 10+ events for GA for behavior analysis, but will lump 3-4 of them together for FB conversion tags if they represent the same business action, since FB limits you to 8 custom conversions now and the only thing we use FB for is tracking conversions, not analyzing the specific actions.