Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucas4bi
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Transfer State Selection Limit?

Hi Everyone,

im experiencing some problems using the "transfer state" functionality on a button.

I've tried to pass a field selection state from a document to another, having 18 millions values selected. the process seems to be running for 2-3 minutes, after that it ends up doing nothing: no second document opened, and obv. no selection passed.

I've also made some other tries, and found out that it works (taking about 5 minutes, with my hardware configuration) when i have under 10Millions values selected in the field.

i don't think it's a hardware problem, cause the server has 64cores and 512GB ram, and when i tried to pass 18million values, the cpu was running around 5-10% and the ram was almost all free.

Has anyone exprerienced something like this? does qlikview have a limit of distinct values for passing selection?

What workaround could i develop to get this working? (i tought to write all the possible values on a .txt file but it would take too much time to write all the values before, and then read all the values on the second document then).

PS: 18millions is a small set, the feature should be able to work with 100-200millions of possible values selected in the field.

Thanks in advance

5 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I suspect the problem is that size of the .shared file. I'm investgating a similar issue. To transfer state, a bookmark for the current state is created in the shared file of the target document. Large selection sets will make for large bookmarks will will make for very large shared files. Much time seems  to be taken rewring the shared file.

Take a look at the shared file on the server. It is is very large, delete it if you can -- if you can afford to delete all the shared objects. Otherwise use the Power Tool shared file viewer to selectively delete the bookmarks.

Let me know if this matches your problem.

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com

lucas4bi
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Rob, thank you for your quick response. Unfurtunatly right now i dont have the access to the server to check the shared file.

Anyway, the document doesn't have any bookmark or shared objects, so it wouldnt be a problem to delete the file, the fact is: i need to pass large selection, so if you are telling me it tries to write a big file everytime and it never succed, then qlikview is not able to transfer a large selection set?  Since it shows the hourglass like it is working for about 3 minutes, then it ends up doing nothing (and cpu and ram are far away from being used fully, as i said).

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It should be able to transfer the selections, the problem is that the transfer bookmarks are not being deleted. So the file grows and performance suffers. A new bookmark is created for each transfer and is accumulated in the shared file.

-Rob

lucas4bi
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Rob,

i've checked the shared file, it's only 14kb. so i guess it wasn't accumulating on each request of transfer state.

I'm trying a new solution, writing the possible values on qvd to re-read them on the other file, but still, writing a qvd with over 55million possible values takes a lot of time. it works good if i only choose values for 1-4 days, not for a month...

Thank you anyway

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Lucas,

What kind of information are you trying to tranfer between documents ? It´s a lot of distinct values to select on one field.

Best Regards,

Pablo