Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skyCoin
Partner - Contributor III

Updated QDS Nodes. Tasks still being run on removed node.

We have a QDS cluster with 2 servers out of an allotted 3 in our publisher license.

We recently removed one server and added another one. So still 2 servers in the cluster.

However some tasks seem to still be triggered to run on the removed server.

Very strange as in the QMC it only shows 2 servers. Outside of the QMC is there anywhere else, possibly an XML or config file, that I must delete old server nodes?

Not sure if this is relevant but what I notice in the logs for is that there are tasks that contain ClusterID = 4, but the MachineName sometimes lists as the removed server. I feel like this indicates some sort of discrepancy. When the machine name lists as the removed node, it looks in the QMC as perpetually running. Cannot stop this task, not sure what it is doing as i do not see a qvb service on the removed node.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
skyCoin
Author

Been a while but just wanted to provide the solution.

Basically when doing this you need to remove the node, hit apply, then add the new node, then hit apply. Just changing where the server name of the node will not properly change the configuration properly. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
balabhaskarqlik

Try the below approaches to find out & delete the task info.

There are two sets of files "responsible for QMC task".

There are the task definition files (XML format) that are stored in the QVPR directory (See C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR). See for example all xml files whose base name ends in *Task*. The most interesting is DocumentTask.xml. It contains a schema for the actual definitions that follow (that is, if you did define regular tasks in the Source Documents tree or in the Reload tab if you don't have a Publisher)

There are also the Task execution result files (XML format) that contain details of each execution of a particular task. (See the set of C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService\Task* folders as well as the Triggers and EDXResults subdirectories)

Try this to find task:

Task is assigned on .qvw files. so what happen with you is that you assign reload task on .qvw file. so qlikview make image for that task and then you directly delete that .qvw file from the location on which you assign reload task. So you delete from source location but on qmc it's image always be there because u didn't disable the Task.

So Step 1:

Come to source location where you delete .qvw file and make .qvw file with exactly same name.

Step 2:

after creating come to qmc then you see that qvw file is exist in Documents tab and on that .qvw file reload task is assign so first you have to disable that task and press apply.

Step 3:

Make sure you didn't apply license on that if you apply license on that so delete the license from that file as well.

skyCoin
Author

Been a while but just wanted to provide the solution.

Basically when doing this you need to remove the node, hit apply, then add the new node, then hit apply. Just changing where the server name of the node will not properly change the configuration properly. 

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Sorry for late reply on this one, but you did the right thing initially, the only thing of which I can think is the QDS Application Data side of things did not update configuration properly there and that was the cause of things, but I am not sure how you managed to get into that situation.  Making the change to the service URL in the QMC to the existing node should have gotten everything to point to the new box and not involve the old node any longer.   I am pretty sure the issue was in the QDS Application Data path given you said QVPR was showing correct info, but again, I cannot explain what got hung up in the update to the QDS files unfortunately.  Just wanted to add a bit further explanation to things, as again, you did what I would have done initially, and that is the best practice as far as I am concerned, so you did the right thing, it just did not push through properly to the QDS side.

What you probably could have done was recreated the QDS Application Data folder, not sure you know this, but you can do this pretty much any time, you just lose your history etc., so if things ever do get stuck and QVPR looks good but QDS side is misbehaving, that is another thing you can try, just stop the QDS services and rename your existing QDS Application Data folder and then start one of the services, be sure all the files folders recreate then bring the other cluster node services back online, and that should get everything in sync.  Sorry I am late getting to you, as this likely would have save you some time, so apologies again.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.