Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
northerner
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Updating Object Id - are there any problems?

Hi All,

I've been working with Project Files for several months.  They have been very helpful for tracking changes to documents and objects in source control (I'm using SVN). 

I've often thought about updating the Object Ids for charts/list boxes/etc so that they have more meaningful names

i.e Top 10 Salespeople rather than CH15

I have not done this because of feedback from other Qlikview developers.  A few people have told me that renaming objects will sooner-or-later lead to problems, which may require a document to be rebuilt.

Rather than accept the perceived wisdom, I wanted to ask what other people's experience is:

• Has anyone had problems after they've updated Object Ids?
  • Is this a problem that affected previous versions of Qlikview but has now been resolved?  (I'm using Qlikview 10 SR3)
3 Replies
whiteline
Master II
Master II

Hi.

I have never had any problems with that. But I've used the meaningful names for the small number of objects to analyze the metadata or to reference in the script.

Anyway, don't use spaces or any special characters.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Object IDs may be used in macros and containers.  Make sure you don't break anything.

Object ID with spaces is not a good idea.  I remember Export to Excel stopped working after I used some unfortunate Object ID.  Took me awhile to figure out why such a basic feature was broken...

Colin-Albert

The browse list in containers for objects appears to filter based on the first two letters of the object ID.

List boxes are expected to start LB, Charts are expected to start CH etc.

So it may be better to use "CH_TopN_Salespeople" and retain the 2-letter prefix.