Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul_ripley
Creator III
Creator III

Updating in bulk variables used in many qvws

Hello

I have the same variables that I used across many apps that update the period.

I have to go into each app every month and update them with the new period.

Is there a way to do this in bulk? I believe there is away using excel but I don't know how to do this. Is that the best way?

Many thanks

Paul

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You can place the variables in a separate script file that is shared in a shared folder and then include this file in every app that needs the same variables.

Make use of the:

$(must_include=...........);

In each of the load scripts.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2017/Subsystems/Client/Content/Scripting/SystemVariable...

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Instead of putting static values in those variables you could create expressions that calculate the values on the fly, for example based on the current date. That way you won't have to update them. They'll update themselves.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
paul_ripley
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Gysbert

These fields can be changed at any time.  Just because we are now in the Aug doesn't mean the end period is always August, the user might want to look at March data whilse we are still in August.

However, usually around the beginning of the month I do roll forward the default period on the server.so I do need a way of updating these variables.

Kind regards

Paul

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

Storing variables in an excel sheet and load them into your qv using load script like check this link:

How to import variables from excel or csv file ... | Qlik Community

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Then let the user update the variables. Add input boxes or calendar objects etc for them.

paul_ripley
Creator III
Creator III
Author

They can do that, but this is just to have the variable default to the current period for when they open Qlikview

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Well, if there is no logic that can determine what the default value is then you're stuck with something like an excel file that you update whenever it needs to be updated and that's always loaded into the Qlikview document to give the variables their values.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You can place the variables in a separate script file that is shared in a shared folder and then include this file in every app that needs the same variables.

Make use of the:

$(must_include=...........);

In each of the load scripts.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2017/Subsystems/Client/Content/Scripting/SystemVariable...

paul_ripley
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks All

I will have a go at this on Monday and let you know how I get on

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The AsOf-table could be an alternative way of approaching this....

https://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2015/11/02/the-as-of-table#start=50