Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Upgrade to QV11 - transition/bride guide?

I'm sorry I have to start this thread, I also feel a bit stupid as i couldn't find any explanation or guide or walkthrough concerning that topic in general nor concerning my problem (see below) in detail.

Honestly, from my point of view this would make great sense, some kind of to-do list when upgrading to the new version, all the things you have to do.

The concrecte problem I have is the limiation of results within the new Logic. I would have expected that the developers made it much more comfortable as they have included a new sheet within the Options ("Limitation", "Restriction", I dont know it as i use the german version).

With two dimensions (year and customer) and one forumula (sales-amount) how should this be done? Neither Google nor the (very fast =/ ) QV-Forum gives some useful suggestion =( Just want to restrict my graph to the TOP 5 COSTUMERS

I would recommend to give some information on the frontpage .. at least a link for customers which are going to upgrade and want to know what and why and how!

Can't believe that there is no such info ...

Thanks for any help,

please apologize my incapacity!

Christoph

6 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Christoph,

Although I don't have version 11 right here, please check the "Training" section of the QlikView portal, because there are many free courses and webinars very useful for development, design and deployment. In particular, you may find this one specially useful since it cares about the new features (such as dimension limits) of QlikView.

If you have not found the correct answer I will have access to version 11 later on today.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Concerning migration, there is a document:

http://community.qlik.com/thread/35661

Concerning your dimension limitation, go to the limitation tab, select the customer dimension, check the "Restrict which values are displayed..." check box and the first option "Show only largest" - enter 5 - "Values".

There is a What's new in QV11 app that demonstrates most of the new features as well.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the fast reply guys,

@Miguel: I think it won't be a bad idea to do the training, even if it's not possible to zap to the main and relevant parts.

Ii was just searching for some kind of document (was not thinking of a video 😃

@Swuehl: The document (i already found it) is ONLY about Server migration, nothing interesting for me

And your tip does work in general but not in this case, BECAUSE i forgot to mention:

I wanna show the TOP COSTUMERS 2011 (so the base for the ranking should be the sales of 2011), in the graph i have the sales amount on X-axis and the years (from 2008 to 2011) on the Y-axis. The 5 Top costumers from the current year (2011) should now be displayed as lines (therefore also showing the development over the years).

I will just insert it, bit easier than describing

graph-topcostumers.JPG

In QV10 i have done that via formula (which i cant have a look on as it seems to be deleted since the new version is installed) ..

Thanks in advance for every help on this,

Christoph

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hm, I think QV11 should just open fine your existing qvw, even after uninstalling QV10.

If you did something with complex expressions in QV10, it should work in QV11 also.

So maybe I need to clarify, do you need help in building that chart (but that's not a migration issue necessarily), or what is the exact problem in using your existing expressions in QV11?

Not applicable
Author

It's not possible installing QV11 without de-installing QV10, just fyi.

It wasn't such a complex expression, and it isn't working anymore in QV11. My old sort expression seems to be gone now and the new logic for sorting is just ... not adequate ..

I would like to get help for my chart (as i cannot be used anymore in QV11), furthermore I would love to get a transition/bridge guide (whatever available), at least for my colleagues who still have to switch to QV11 ...

Thanks

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Christoph,

there are ways to have QV11 and QV10 side by side, please see e.g.

http://community.qlik.com/message/176238

But that is not my point. I was talking about opening the old apps created with QV10 with QV11. There is no need to have both installed side by side for that.

I am not sure what a bride guide is, but if you are looking for a step-by-step guide on how to convert QV10 to QV11 documents, I am not aware of any and I think also no official guide is planned.

I believe QV11 is designed to work as downward compatible to QV10. Every incompatibility would be considered a bug, I think. This does not mean that there are no such bugs and this does not mean all known bugs are resolved and closed (I remember an incompatibility with line end character in text boxes, for example, that seems still to be open).

I just wanted to say, the only guide that handles incompatibilities will probably be the list of known issues (publically available with the Release Notes). It will be up to us developers to handle such defects then.

Maybe I am off with my assumptions on design goals though, I am not a QV employee, nor do I have any more information than most of us (sometimes less ).

Coming back to your chart.

Maybe you came across one of those known or unknown incompatibilities.

Would it be possible that you detail a bit more what your (sort) expressions looked like? It would be best if you could provide a small sample app that demostrates the desired behaviour in QV10 and shows that it stopped working as expected in QV11. This could be also an Input to a defect report, then.

Best regards,

Stefan