Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jleraille
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

User preferences work in Webview mode

Hello,
I have a query about how user preferences work in Webview mode.
In the online help it says "They are stored on the computer and not in the document file".

I want to increase the maximum number of selected values to display in active selections.
Will this be valid in Webview regardless of the user ?

Thanks

Jacques

Labels (2)
5 Replies
Josh_Berg_Support

Our Help page specifies the maximum number of selected values as:

Specify the maximum number of distinct selected values here to be shown in the current selections dialog and in the selection stamps in printouts. When more values are selected they will only be specified as ‘x values of y’ for the respective field.

I tested changing the maximum number of selected values in my test environment with Qlikview Desktop November 2018 SR2.  I limited the number of selections to 1, saved the QVW, distributed it to the Accesspoint and I was able to select more than 1 value on the so it looks like that setting doesn't transfer to QVWs opened from the Accesspoint.

Not sure where you found the part about the setting being saved locally and not on the QVW but that seems to be the case here from my testing.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Josh

Qlik Support  

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
jleraille
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hello Josh,
Thank you for your reply. I read and understood the help page.
My question concerns the number of values displayed in active selections (for example the 14 values and not 14 of 40) and not the number of selectable values
And about user preferences I would like to understand how this can apply to all users.

Thanks

Jacques

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Jacques,

Let me see if I can attempt to clarify things for you here.  So when it comes to the clients, there is a major thing to understand, when using the Desktop Client and making any changes to Settings\User Preferences, those are being written to the local Settings.ini on the machine where you are running the client, this is true even if you are running in WebView in Desktop.  

Now, we then jump to QVServer and the Ajax client which is the counterpart to Desktop WebView, and in this case, the settings you changed in the Desktop client would need to be added to the QVServer Settings.ini file in this case, as the QVS is doing all of the process for the Ajax clients...  Hopefully that made things click, but the caveat here is some settings on the Desktop side may not work server-side, so you will have to test things if you add Desktop Settings.ini settings to the QVS Settings.ini, basically do this in your sandbox/dev environment first to be sure things work before you move them up the chain in this case.  Off the top of my head, I cannot think of anything that would be a problem, but I am sure there are at least a few settings that may not really function server-side, so just keep that in the back of your mind.  

So if you find the setting that got changed in the Desktop client settings.ini, you can copy that setting from there and put it into the QVS Settings.ini in the [Settings 7] section, and restart the QVS service, and then see if things change for you when hitting the app via the Ajax client.  If so, then you should be in good shape.  Just shout if you have more questions, but hopefully this was clear enough for you to know what you need to do now.  If you do reply, it may take me a day or few to get back to you, but I will eventually.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
jleraille
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Brett

Thank you for this very clear explanation.
I have access to the settings.ini file on my computer
I have to check with the server administrator if it is possible to make this change in QVS Settings.ini

Regards
Jacques

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Jacques,

Cool, just shout either way, and we can try to see if we can come up with something else if this does not work...  I am glad what I wrote made sense though, sometimes that is not the case! 🙂

Cheers,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.