Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using set analysis with variables

Hi,

I have a table Fact: Concept, Month, ValueEUR

And another table AuxTime: AuxMonth

I use the set analysis expression below:

Sum($<[Concept] = {'RESULTADO'} , [Month] = {'$(=MaxString([AuxMonth]))'}>ValueEUR)

If I use this expression directly in a Chart, the expression works right. However, if I create a variable and then I use the variable in the Chart, it doesn't work. The expression becomes

Sum($<[Concept] = {'RESULTADO'} , [Month] = {''}>ValueEUR)

What I do wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

First, I think you need to use LET instead of SET.

Then, you need to concatenate the string in order to make it come out how you want. This worked for me:

LET vSumaScript2 = '=Sum({$<Concept = {RESULTADO} , Month = {' & '$' & '(=MaxString([AuxMonth]))}>} Value)';

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

More information:

If I create the variable in the script as:

set vValue = Sum($<[Concept] = {'RESULTADO'} , [Month] = {'$(=MaxString([AuxMonth]))'}>ValueEUR)

it doesn't work.

However, if I go to the "pannel variable" and I create there the variable, the expresion goes right.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It isn't working because QlikView is doing the dollar sign expansion when you set the variable rather than waiting until it is used. I remember that fixing it is something trivial, like putting the whole expression in quotes, but I don't think that was it, and I haven't done it myself so I don't have anything to look up. Hopefully someone that's actually done it will let us know. And at least you have a workaround.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John for your answer. I'll try to find out the way to declare this variable in the script.

Not applicable
Author

Hi

I think you need to put an EQUAL sign at the front of the expression in the variable.

Regards,

Nigel.

Not applicable
Author

Nigel,

What do you mean?

Something like below?

set vValue = '=Sum($<[Concept] = {'RESULTADO'} , [Month] = {'$(=MaxString([AuxMonth]))'}>ValueEUR)'

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kim

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

Nigel.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Nigel,

I have tried it, but it doesn't work.

Look the file attached.

Not applicable
Author

First, I think you need to use LET instead of SET.

Then, you need to concatenate the string in order to make it come out how you want. This worked for me:

LET vSumaScript2 = '=Sum({$<Concept = {RESULTADO} , Month = {' & '$' & '(=MaxString([AuxMonth]))}>} Value)';

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kim

Yes, sorry about that, its not quite as simple as I first thought.

The thing is that when you set a variable that uses dollar expansion, QlikView immediately expands the dollar expansion part and sets the variable according to the value. If the value doesn't exist then it simply creates an expression that states something like Month = {""} in the middle of your set analysis expression.

I have come across the problem before and I worked around it by creating a variable that held (for example) your definition of =MaxString([AuxMonth]), then, in the load script you would set you variable to be something like Month = {"$(MaxMonth)"} where MaxMonth holds the above value.

I've been playing around with this for a while, but haven't got the final answer yet (but I need to do some work now).

I would attach something, but I can't firgure out how to attach anything to this message!!!

Nigel.