Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Values on Data Points / Valores sobre los datos

Dear Friends,

I make a line graph and I show the values as you can see in the image below. The problem happens when I have similar values, because the values seems overlapped, for example on the periods dic-14,jun-2014. Exist some way to correct this?

Best Regards!!!

Graph.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Unfortunately there is no "out of the box" solution that could solve this problem automatically. You can use one of the following work around- solutions to try and resolve the problem:

1. When you know upfront that two expressions are going to produce very close results, you can suppress showing values on one of them. In your example, it's enough to suppress showing values on the Yellow line.

2. You can use the special Extrension attribute "Show Value", instead of the checkbox "Values on Data Points". This attribute accepts a condition that allows you to determine for each data point, whether to want the value to be displayed or not. So, if you formulate your condition that compares the values of different expressions and decides if you can show a given value or not. In your case, only "nov-2014" allows showing all 4 values. All other data points should hide at least one value or even more.

3. This is perhaps the most difficult one, and I'm not even sure if it's going to work 100% (and I have no time to try it out myself). Instead of showing values on data points, you can calculate a set of all new expressions. In these expressions, you need to "scale" the actual values and arrange them in the vertical space neatly. It will take some experimenting to get it right. The Expression values will have to be "Dual" - the text needs to show the "actual" values, while the number needs to be calculated based on your "scaling and arranging" logic.

This solution can get a bit too complex, and it will be impossible to combine with the setting "Number within Segments" that you are using for your bars. My recommendation would be to simplify and suppress numbers on (almost) all data points.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Unfortunately there is no "out of the box" solution that could solve this problem automatically. You can use one of the following work around- solutions to try and resolve the problem:

1. When you know upfront that two expressions are going to produce very close results, you can suppress showing values on one of them. In your example, it's enough to suppress showing values on the Yellow line.

2. You can use the special Extrension attribute "Show Value", instead of the checkbox "Values on Data Points". This attribute accepts a condition that allows you to determine for each data point, whether to want the value to be displayed or not. So, if you formulate your condition that compares the values of different expressions and decides if you can show a given value or not. In your case, only "nov-2014" allows showing all 4 values. All other data points should hide at least one value or even more.

3. This is perhaps the most difficult one, and I'm not even sure if it's going to work 100% (and I have no time to try it out myself). Instead of showing values on data points, you can calculate a set of all new expressions. In these expressions, you need to "scale" the actual values and arrange them in the vertical space neatly. It will take some experimenting to get it right. The Expression values will have to be "Dual" - the text needs to show the "actual" values, while the number needs to be calculated based on your "scaling and arranging" logic.

This solution can get a bit too complex, and it will be impossible to combine with the setting "Number within Segments" that you are using for your bars. My recommendation would be to simplify and suppress numbers on (almost) all data points.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Oleg for your help, I'll talk to the business client to suggest the first or the second recommendation.

Best Regards! I hope this can be solved or improve on Qlikview 12 you know something about?

Thanks again!