cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Versioning best practices

Hi,

I have a question. I'm using SVN, and I would like to know if it's a good practice versioning only my qvw files or if I should versioning my prj files too. What do you recommend?

Regards,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ideally, you would version your prj directory and not your qvw file. This will give you the ability to diff between versions. However, QV can be a bit "chatty" in it's updates to prj files and this can be frustrating. So some people prefer to just check in reduced qvws only. You don't get diff, but you get history and attribution.

-Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ideally, you would version your prj directory and not your qvw file. This will give you the ability to diff between versions. However, QV can be a bit "chatty" in it's updates to prj files and this can be frustrating. So some people prefer to just check in reduced qvws only. You don't get diff, but you get history and attribution.

-Rob

jujucts
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Rob,

does SVN checks only script modifications or also objects modifications (like expressions, dimensions...)

best regards

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The prj files contain all object definitions. So yes, dimensions, expressions -- all object properties are managed by source control.

Excellent document here

Updated Guide to QlikView and Source Control (TFS & Subversion)

-Rob

jujucts
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Thank you Rob.

I read it already.

According to your opinion i'm now sure

Best regards